considering a Persian - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

considering a Persian

Hello everyone,
Fairly new to the forum.I'm highly considering of getting a Persian kitten . I would greatly appreciate feedbacks re this breed. Temperament-wise, how different are they from domestic short haired cats?

TIA,
Jogon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Cat Addict

Well, we have a few Persian owners who can tell you about their cats temprament. However like any other cat, everyone is different, so some are outgoing othes shy etc.
I would say one of the differences to think about is the coat care. Persains need good grooming habits from you to ensure that their coats stay matt free.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Premier Cat

Abby is a Persian/Ragdoll mix. Abby is very laid back relative to a DSH. She tends not to jump on things. I am able to keep all sorts of breakables out (figurines, glass picture frames, etc.) and she doesn't bother with them. She's very gentle and well behaved. She's also very affectionate and she loves sitting on my lap.

Now, is that characteristic of the breed? Is that just Abby's own personality? Or is it because I live alone; I'm very quiet; and I adopted Abby as a kitten, so she's been brought up in quiet surroundings? Darned if I know. It could be any or all of the three!

As for the grooming...the one thing I would recommend is to try to select a kitten who enjoys being groomed. Abby loves to be brushed/combed, and she has loved it since she was a kitten. She just lies still, which makes my life easy. As a result, Abby never gets matts. In contrast, my other cat (Muffs, a Ragdoll) fights me all the way and she absolutely refuses to let me brush her underbelly...she will claw, scream or run away. Again, she has been that way since she was a kitten. As a result, she gets matted at least once or twice a year on her underbelly and I need to take her to the vet (often she needs to be sedated to deal with the problem, because even with several vet techs working on her, they can't control her). We won't discuss the cost...you do not want to know. I love Muffs, but I could do without this particular problem.
So, if you're going to get a cat that needs constant grooming, it will make your life a LOT easier if you adopt one who enjoys being groomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Premier Cat

Generally speaking, Persians are quiet-voiced, playful, affectionate, laid-back cats. It's why they are the most popular breed any cat show. It's rare to see one that would freak out, hiss or growl for a judge. Yes, the grooming is a BIG deal. I do not recommend using a brush on a Persian....use a "Greyhound" type of comb of polished steel rounded-tip tines. This is what most Persian owners who show use. Comb your kitty every day, even tho its kitten coat may not need it now....talk in a sing-song voice gently while grooming....always feed a treat after the grooming. This will be kitty's daily routine, and kitty will come to look forward to this special session with you. Good luck in finding your special kitty.

Breed Profile: The Persian

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Be careful when looking for a persian breeder and do your research. Being one of the most popular cat breeds means that there are a lot of irresponsible breeders churning out unhealthy kittens looking for a quick buck, make sure you find a responsible breeder who health tests their parents and breeds for an overall healthy and sound feline!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:17 PM
Cool Cat

I have two doll-face Persians. They are the most incredible cats I could have ever asked for. I can NOT recommend this breed enough! From my experience with friends and family owning Persians, as well as interacting with my girls' parents and littermates, I've found this breed's temperament to be amazingly sweet.

I have two girls from different litters (same breeder, they have the same dad but different mom). Both of them are sweet, gentle, easy-going, and are absolute angels. They get bursts of playfulness during the day, but in general they are some of the laziest kittens ever.

They're also very needy for attention. My girls come to me and my boyfriend daily meowing to get belly rubs and pets. They are velcro-cats, and literally follow us everywhere. They're unbelievably sweet and loyal and just adore being with their people. If they don't know where we are, they are searching for us and meowing for us. When we respond, they come running with happy chirps lol.

When getting kittens, I must recommend getting two! When we got our first kitten, Ellie, she was fantastic but was also very bored so she would act out at times (typical kitten stuff, like playing with people's ankles, playing with claws, etc) but as soon as we got Tootsie as her friend, Ellie literally became an angel. Their companionship is priceless, and Ellie's happiness and comfort increased tenfold. Since they have each other, they don't stress at all when they're home alone.

Also, some Persians have different coat types. Obviously, they're all longhaired, but my Ellie has a smooth, silky coat that doesn't require much grooming. Tootsie on the other hand is SUPER poofy and dense, so she requires a lot of brushing or she mats badly. Persians do shed quite significantly, but it's much less if you keep them nicely brushed and groomed.

Of course, every cat can be different so when you look for a kitten, it's good to handle it a lot and watch closely to see it's temperament. Also, like Nicole.H mentioned, make sure your breeder is ethical and breeds for health and temperament. Do NOT get a kitten from a pet store or massive "kitten mill" breeder that just breeds for money, or you'll be sure to get a sickly kitten which is not what you want.

Once again, I seriously can't recommend this breed enough. They are amazing and the breed has absolutely stolen my heart. I wish you the best of luck! Please keep us posted on if you decide to get a kitten or not.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Tom Cat

I have a doll-faced Himalayan, which is a Persian with Siamese coloration. Himalayans are supposed to be a bit more active and vocal than Persians, and my kitten Jasper is both of these at times, when he's bored or hungry respectively. However I must say, in most every way he's just the sweetest, most easygoing kitten I could have possibly asked for. I have a friend with a Himalayan that is exactly the same way. So if you're looking for a cat with a nice, even temperament I think a Persian would be a great choice! I remember reading online that Persians and Himalayans are the perfect 'apartment cats' since they're content as long as they have can be around their humans! This is definitely how Jasper is, he loves to follow me and my friends from room to room to 'help' us with whatever we're doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you everyone for your very informative inputs.
I went ahead and picked up our Persian kitten yesterday from the seller.My kids just immediately fell in love with the new kitten. My daughter named him Kenshin,a white male(Chinchilla?)adorable little furball ,around 6 weeks old.Temperament is exactly what was described by you guys.Very very sweet and begs for attention.Quite laid back compared to our DSH kittens.He's still trying to get accustomed to the new environment.5 noisy kids and 4 other kittens and a Lab.He seems to be adjusting well.
I'm very happy I got him.
Thanks again!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, very young to be leaving his momacat....11-12 wks. would have been better. Has he at least had his first shots? Did you get a vaccination report from a vet? It would be a good idea to have him checked out by a vet, and set up an appt for his second set of shots when he's a little older. Of course, we would love to see picks of your sweet little boy.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure you'll take great care of him and give him a wonderful home, but you got him from a HORRIBLE breeder, probaby a BYB. That's way too young to separate any kitten from its mother.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page