Ragdoll breed/breeders in Ontario - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ragdoll breed/breeders in Ontario

Hello,

Quite a few years ago I had rescued a Himalayan cat from a shelter. He was a wonderful cat who would follow me wherever I went and play fetch. My family( myself ,husband , 2 children and dog) are looking for a feline kitten up to and no older than 6 months of age. We want a personality as I described above but also gets along well with children and dogs. I am looking for a kitten from a breeder and have researched a few pertaining to the Ragdoll. Wondering if any of you can verify the personality of the Ragdoll and maybe any breeder recommendations in the Ontario area ?

Thanks In Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

We're not allowed to post links to breeders, but we do have members with Ragdolls who can attest to their gentle personalities.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry I didn't realize that. I thought maybe some could say where they purchased their cat. But I will take any info on the breed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, following you around like your shadow sounds like a Himalayan/Persian for sure! I have two Persians and they are the most playful, vocal, and attached kitties I've ever had. Wherever I go, they must follow. They are just the sweetest things imaginable.

I've never owned a Ragdoll, but I've heard fantastic things about them. One thing to note is that there are always cats who are exceptions to their breed. I've met a few Ragdolls who were shy, reserved, and not very playful. So it's always good to interact with the kitten, get an idea of their temperament, etc.

I know we have a few members with Ragdolls so hopefully they chime in!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your reply Mandy and Ellie.

I would love to get another Himalayan bit after researching breeders here I just can't seem to find one that is suitable to me . A lot of different reasons really. So I began the search of different breeds and like the Birman and Ragdoll but I can't find any Birman breeders near here. So. Ragdoll it is .

You are correct in saying every cat has an exception to their breed in terms of personality. That is one of the reasons I want a local breeder where I can go and see the cattery and cats and interact with them and get a first hand view of the breeding practices.

We are hoping for early 2016 to have a kitten by as that gives me time to research the breed and breeders. It's a big decision and I don't take it lightly !
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Go to the website for whatever cat fancier associations there are in Canada (e.g. in the US it's CFA & TICA...maybe it's the same in Canada?). They should have lists of breeders for each breed.

I have a Maine Coon, not so different from a Ragdoll. Best cat ever. Sweet, gentle, friendly, smart, and funny.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks doodlebug for the advice!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Cool Cat

I have a ragdoll rescue cat! He is the best, just so very sweet. We got him when he was 6 years old, and did not have the benefit of socializing him ourselves, yet he does demonstrate a very companionable and sweet demeanor. He is extremely patient with children and tolerates being held by them. He is not a lap cat, but he is always nearby, at my feet, or 'helping'. He is vocal, and wants a lot of attention. Skye's coAt is lovely, very soft and does not tangle. And he sleeps on our bed at night. I think he craves human interaction more than any of my other kitties have.
Good luck in your search, I certainly have been charmed by my ragdoll!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

Canada does use TICA and CFA. I know TICA only lists a very very few of the cattery names for what they breed. Sometimes our cattery names tell what we breed.

If you google "ragdoll breeders Ontario", you should get a long list of breeders' webpages to check out. (I checked and there was a long list of Birmese pages for Onataio as well).
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Speechie and Mochas Mommy! I think I have it narrowed down to 3 breeders.. It's been a few years since I owned a cat. But these are the questions I ask...let me know if you think they are ok....

Are the male and femal onsite?
How long have you been breeding/ showing cats?
What genetic testing/ health testing is done on your kitten ? Also can we see a report of the parents of the kittens health testing report?
What exactly does your health guarantee cover?
How many litters do you produce a year?
If I want a cat for early 2016 when should I be put on you wait list?
How do you chose future owners on your wait list and match them to a cat?
What comes included with the cat ie vaccines,papers and etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page