Is my cat just a mackerel tabby? Or something more? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Skype™ to Janessa
Talking Is my cat just a mackerel tabby? Or something more?

I'm just going to post this photo I've edited in photoshop, of some Savannah cats, and my kitten Luna. I know Savannah are quite rare and even if there were some way back when in her lineage, it doesn't really matter to me I love her no matter what! She's my best friend I just want to know what YOU guys think! This forum has the most cat people I've ever seen, and very knowledgeable about breeds. Sorry for the small pictures/ so much text which requires one to click on the picture haha. But I had to have side/side comparisons. I initially didn't suspect anything( I think I probably just have a tabby mutt from my local shelter) Haha, my friend actually mentioned that there were similarities. She does have some quirky characteristics which make me question this possibility in lineage though! Haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna savannah thing copy.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	102786  

Last edited by Janessa; 03-13-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

More photos

I fail at editing stuff. Lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	102794  

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	102802  

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	102810  

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM
Tom Cat

She may very well be "just" a tabby. That's nothing to sneeze at! Tabby is the default colour of all cats. Your's looks like a delightful little mini tiger.
Way back in the 70s I had a cat that looked very much like yours. She could leap from the floor to the top of the 'fridge in one bound when she was young and athletic. Nobody was breeding Savannahs back then, and Bengals weren't even a breed yet, so she was definitely 100% purebred shorthaired tabby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She may very well be "just" a tabby. That's nothing to sneeze at! Tabby is the default colour of all cats. Your's looks like a delightful little mini tiger.Sorry if I came off as saying being an ordinary tabby is a bad thing. I 100% do not think that. I love tabbies and have had them all of my life, all wonderful cats. I love her very much and her lineage would never change how I feel. I just put it into question due to some character traits that she has that my previous tabbies did not. That is why (my friend pointed it out to me initially) and put into question - that I questioned if there may be savannah way back when in her lineage. Whether or not there is does not matter much to me, I think she's beautiful and she's my best friend either way. Very fun, chatty, intelligent, jumps from floor nearly to top of bookshelves, very athletic and I can't imagine my life without her cheer. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by marie73; 03-13-2016 at 10:54 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:58 PM
Premier Cat

Luna is one very cute, adorable kitty! Love her markings!

Does your kitty love getting water and getting wet? Savannahs bodies look much leaner, taller, and larger (depending on how far along the F-generation they are, I guess), than your average moggie, and can jump quite high... I found this link below, maybe this can help give you some idea?

Savannah | Cats 101 | Animal Planet
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She thanks you for the compliment, as do I. I love her pattern!!
Thank you for the link! Watched it I know about the different generations as well. She actually does like water. She's long and lanky/lean but she is also still a kitten. She jumps like CRAZY lol. She's very vocal and almost dog-like. She has the prey drive unlike any other cat I've ever owned (I can play with her until she is panting so hard and she'll still try to keep going, haha). She chirps/chatters a lot while "hunting" the toys, likes to jump from the floor to my bookshelf shelves/top area. She is really intelligent and knows a variety of tricks already! I know her mackerel tabby pattern is pretty definitive, however she does have the 'spots/ticked' pattern along her back and stomach. I don't really care whether or not some F7 or later generation is mixed in within her lineage somewhere along the line, it's just my friend noted similarities in disposition/body structure and some behavioural tendencies, so it made me stop and think about it. Hehe.

Last edited by marie73; 03-14-2016 at 12:34 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

Is owning a Savannah cat legal in Cananda? It's not legal here in my city.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
Is owning a Savannah cat legal in Cananda? It's not legal here in my city.
I'm not too sure. I believe it is, however I wouldn't know as I've never tried to purchase one or looked into breeders. I got my cat Luna from an animal shelter and she is a Tabby mix as stated on her papers anyway. Even if she were part Savannah I honestly think it'd be so remote and far back in the lineage it wouldn't count lol. so to end that rant, I have no idea :')
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 AM
Senior Cat

She is beautiful! I have a huge soft spot in my heart for tabbies even though the only two cats I've had have been a tuxedo and a gray XD

I had a friend who bred Toygers and Savannahs, and I have seen several F-gens of Savannahs first-hand in various stages of their lives. Your girl does not look like she is part Savannah, unfortunately :{

I know how it feels to want your kitty to be something a bit exotic, trust me - I spent years convincing myself that my cat Wintressia was a Russian Blue or a Chartreux, but honestly, she's just a gray mutt-cat! XD

Luna is a gorgeous girl. I don't think she's got any Savannah in her, but it sounds like you have a very special kitty nonetheless :}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Cat Addict

Your cat could be a clone of my Eve! I did a total double take on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page