Artemis is pregnant - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Post Artemis is pregnant

Hello everyone! I'm nervous for my cat, Artemis. We aren't sure exactly how old she is but she's at least 5 months as that's how long we've had her. She is a very small cat and she is pregnant. We didn't mean for her to get pregnant, she got outside one day while she was in heat! I'm just worried about birth complications since she is so small and so young. Is it common for cats to give birth just fine in this scenario or are there often complications? Any advice or input is appreciated! Also, can anyone identify what breed she is? She is long haired and cream colored with brown marking on her face, ears, and tail. What gets me is the markings on her face, it isn't solid brown like a Himalayan or Siamese.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12325703_1150993351591437_717476453_o.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	102834  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Premier Cat

Please talk to your vet about your cat and her pregnancy. If she is really young, they can still spay her while pregnant...in effect, aborting the kittens at the same time. Sounds harsh, but the little girl is still growing and needs all her nutrients for herself and her future health.

If you do decide to keep the kittens, small cats have given birth before. Gestation is about 64 days and can go up to 70. Because she is little and inexperienced, you should make plans to be around when she gives birth. You may need to assist with cord cutting, removing placentas and bedding, opening birth sacs so kittens can breathe, etc. You also will need to be there in case something goes wrong (eg.kitten stuck in birth canal because mommy is so small) and you will need to get her to a vet right away for a C-section.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you, I will make sure I do all of that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Premier Cat

Pookins,
I know it sounds hard, but I fully agree with Mochas Mommy, Artemis, at that age is still growing, trying to get good bones, good organs, etc...
This will not be good for her health...

Kitten birth can very well be complicated, due to her age...

She may not even have good mommy instincts at this point...are you prepared to try and feed feed kittens every two hours?? Around the clock?? Are you prepared for heartbreak, if the kittens don't make it?
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I don't want to abort the kittens, but I absolutely understand that it may be best for Artemis and I will do that if it seems like the best option to the veterinarian.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Premier Cat

Pookins,
I REALLY understand your feelings, it is a very hard decision...
I'm also sure you want Artemis to become a healthy adult...
Can you imagine, a 10 year old human, becoming pregnant? (In some cultures, it's happened) for humans, the body hasn't finished growing, and the brain is still developing, in humans, the brain is considered 'developed' by the age of 25 years!!

Being pregnant, sucks important nutrients from the mama, and that's a mama that is fully mature...
Artemis is STILL growing, do you want to short change her health, for the future?
Just some food for thought...
(((HUGS))) I know it's not easy...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Premier Cat

I do agree with 10cats.
I am a breeder and my girls were not bred before they were over a year old. They are both fed a high quality raw diet with supplements and still they lose condition. Mystik, my littlest girl, was 1.5 years for her first litter and this is hard on her. I am up 2-3 times a night to get more raw food for her as she has to eat that much just to keep up her strength for her kittens. The babies take a lot out of the mommies. Talk to your vet and they should be able to give you a guesstimate how old your girl is and let you know how this could affect her. Yes, kittens are cute....but they are a LOT of work too.

Your primary commitment is to Artemis and her health. Have a vet check to confirm she is pregnant. (Do you know how far along she would be?) And ask your vet about options....they are the best resource for you. Your little girl will need a lot of expensive vet visits. A C-section, if needed, is usually over $1000 and a tiny girl is more likely to need one. Please schedule a vet visit and discuss your options....Artemis is your priority!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Both of you are very right! Thank you, I do appreciate your input. Artemis is my priority and I will do all I can to make sure she's healthy, even if it means making the decision to abort the kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page