Getting Deposit Back From Breeder? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Cat Addict

HCM is a genetic disease - but heart issues can manifest as a kitten grows. The fact that he didn't have a murmur or issue at the initial vet visit doesn't mean it wasn't the breeder's fault. HCM is genetic - is WAS the breeders fault.

In any case - it seems to me you're out of luck. It's a tough lesson to learn for sure, but in some ways that's better now than after you get a kitten that has genetic issues or diseases show up down the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Cat Addict

Have you actually met the kitty concerned? Your own instincts are the main thing (although I admit that I have never actually bought a cat). If it is long distance then I'd personally cut my losses - if I'd bonded I'd take the risk but there is no right or wrong here.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I still think you should request a refund. Perhaps you can cite finding out about the kitten having HCM as your reason. All you can do is ask.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I still think you should request a refund. Perhaps you can cite finding out about the kitten having HCM as your reason. All you can do is ask.
I've contacted her and told her my concerns, and she seems to be in complete denial that there have ever been complaints about her cats. She is making it seem like I fabricated health issues, and she is demanding the information of the people I have spoken with. She seems defensive and a little bit rude, and yet is still refusing to send me any testimonials. There is no way I will be getting my deposit back for this one.

I may still go visit her cattery next weekend when I am home, but I am fairly certain I will not be purchasing a kitten from her. I think it is smarter for me to take the word of those who have had issues with their cats and to trust my heart on this one. If her way of addressing concerns from people by speaking condescendingly towards them, then I am better off with another breeder.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Cool Cat

Did you have any kind of contract or agreement though?

Even if she sent you to a webpage with a ToS, you might check and see if there's any way to contractually get your deposit back.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Cat Addict

I would not suggest visiting if she's denying there are any concerns. Send her the website with the complaints, and ask what she would do to assist you if you had concerns after taking a kitten home. If she brushes you off, or offers an exchange kitten, etc then RUN.

If you visit there's a strong likelihood you'll bond with the kitten. Puttingyourself in the position of meeting her at her place, seeing an adorable kitten, and then not taking it...would be very difficult. It happens to buyers all the time, and in fact some 'breeders' (aka puppy mills) take advantage of the sympathy factor to sell their puppies/kittens. You feel like you're 'rescuing' the little one, but in fact if you give her any more money you're essentially using that money to tell her you agree with her practices.

You mentioned being 'out of the province' before - if you don't mind me asking, which province? I'm in Canada too (Edmonton, AB), and I might be able to help you find a reputable breeder, or rescue, if your heart is set on a bengal.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unfortunately I'm located on the other side of the country in Halifax, but I'm returning home to Ontario. I was looking at some of the catteries in Alberta, and some of them are just awesome looking. It's a shame shipping costs as much as it does.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Cat Addict

I wouldn't get one shipped anyways. I know some breeders and buyers are ok with it - but I'd want to visit the cattery in person, meet the kittens, etc.

Besides, there's got to be good ones in ON!? It's a big place.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Tom Cat

In Halifax you're not far from Massachusets, and when you're in Ontario you won't be far from New York state or Michigan. So you'd also have the option of buying from an American breeder (although, there should be somebody in Ontario).
There's also a Bengal rescue group not far from Ontario, Great Lakes Bengal Rescue, if you ever consider an adult cat. I don't know whether they'd adopt out of country, mind.
Great Lakes Bengal Rescue, serving midwestern United States
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Premier Cat

There are a lot of good Bengal breeders in Ontario. Check the TIBCS website and do diligent research.

If you do consider a kitten from the USA, you will have the added costs and hassles of importing it. Bengals MUST go through CITES....I believe it is about a $200 licensing fee and the US Department of agriculture will have to physically examine the kitten and all its paperwork before it can leave the country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page