Getting Deposit Back From Breeder? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Getting Deposit Back From Breeder?

Hi guys,

So I recently found out (recently as in last night), that the breeder I thought was reputable and raising her kittens in a loving way, is not so reputable and I'm freaking out.

I've recently put down a $300 deposit on a bengal kitten that I would love to take home, but after reading some information about the breeder scamming and purchasing cats illegally about 6 years ago, I started to get really nervous. I messaged a few other people who have purchased kittens from her within the last 2 years, and many of them have issues. One in particular came from her place with ear mites and sneezing problems, with the sneezing problems never completely ending. He also ended up developing HCM later on, although this is not the breeders fault.

Is there any way for me to get my deposit back? I know they are usually non-refundable, but I would not want it back if I did not hear such awful things about people's experiences with her. I am not going to purchase the next member of my family from a home that I am not 100% about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

You need to read your contract - what does it say about refunds? Researching after putting money down is a very expensive lesson. If she's registered with official agencies, perhaps threatening to report her may get her to refund your money.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Premier Cat

^ Everything Marie said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
You need to read your contract - what does it say about refunds? Researching after putting money down is a very expensive lesson. If she's registered with official agencies, perhaps threatening to report her may get her to refund your money.
That's the thing. She is registered with TICA, TIBCS, and the CCA so I thought I would be fine. I'm sure not all of her kittens are sick or there would be more reports on her, I just know I am not willing to take the risk. Do you think I should visit the cattery ASAP/ speak to her vet about the conditions of her cat?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Have you not visited the cattery before?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

No, I am located out of province right now, but I will be back in 2 weeks.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

Visiting the cattery's a great idea! You can find out the sitch for yourself. Like the weather, never take anyone's word for it, turn om TWC!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

The one cat with persistent sniffles likely has feline herpes - if that's the case it's very highly likely all her cats are at least carriers. That in itself doesn't mean she's not responsible though, as herpes is very common and usually no more serious than an occasional kitty cold.

That being said, I'd also suggest reading the contract - and preparing yourself for the possibility that you've just lost $300.

I would not suggest getting a kitten from her if you've gotten more than 2-3 bad reviews, much better to cut and run than end up with a sick cat for it's whole life.

And HCM would be her fault, it's a genetic disease. A reputable breeder would be doing testing on her cats to make sure none were carriers. https://www.google.ca/search?q=hcm+c...CtC4jwO1o4GQCQ

IMO - don't bring home the kitten. Do better research and try again, asking about health testing, issues in the breed and her lines (bengals are VERY prone to digestive issues and anxiety, many breeders wont send one to a single cat home because they're so high energy) , and how she's preventing health issues.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Cool Cat

Not to disparage what you've found out, but where have you found the information about her alleged scams and disreputable practices?

I've learned that things on the internet must be taken with a grain of salt, and sometimes bad reviews/posts are the result of an angry customer who had not ACTUALLY been mistreated/gotten a bad product, but wanted someone to blame for things that went wrong after they received their product/pet.

I personally would not adopt the kitten if you are having any doubts, but would strongly recommend visiting the cattery yourself and making your own conclusions rather than trusting the internet entirely.

You can also contact the official agencies yourself and see if any official complaints have been lodged against this breeder.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
The one cat with persistent sniffles likely has feline herpes
I spoke to one family in particular who said when she brought her kitten to the vet sooner than 48 hours before being home, and he said that her kitten had both a virus and ear mites. Apparently he didn't have HCM during the initial check but a couple of months later it was there.

I think you are right and that I should just cut my losses. I am not mentally or financially prepared to take care of a cat that is ill before even bringing him home from the breeders. Thanks a lot for giving me advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
Not to disparage what you've found out, but where have you found the information about her alleged scams and disreputable practices?
Thanks for replying. There are several rip off reports and kitten fraud reports from her stealing 4 cats from a Norwegian breeder, as well as them publicly harassing this breeder over social media. After messaging other families, I guess it just confirmed the bad feeling I had. It is better I found out now than after bringing him home. I don't think visiting the cattery will make me feel any better about her at this point. I'll just have to accept that I lost that money.

Last edited by marie73; 04-14-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page