What IS Spud? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat

What IS Spud?

Hi everyone,

Spud is my 10 week old kitten that is Siamese colored, but came from an all black feral mom and unknown father. The area he came from is not an area where people are likely to have purebred animals. I have seen a few Siamese looking types of tomcats around, but I don't think that any of them are even close to being purebred.

I suppose I'm asking if in order for a cat to have Siamese coloring, must they actually be Siamese (or have some Siamese in them somewhere along the line) or can a cat be Siamese colored and have no Siamese lineage?

So, can you make an educated guess on what Spud is? Besides, totally and ridiculously adorable.

Last edited by Spea; 06-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Senior Cat

"Siamese" coloration isn't limited to just Siamese - the color pattern is called "pointed" - basically dark points (legs, tail, nose/face, ears) on a lighter-colored body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_coloration

The pointed pattern originated in Siamese and other Asian breeds, but it has been bred into many Western breeds.

However, looking at Spud's kitten pics, his blue eyes and facial structure DOES say Siamese to me - at least a bit! I feel like he DOES have some Siamese in his lineage somewhere :}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Cat

Spud looks like a Siamese! Chocolate or Seal point. He's a very cute little Spud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Premier Cat

He does look like he has some Siamese lineage. Spud is adorable. Looking forward to more pictures of him!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you all! I thought he had Siamese in him too, I'm glad we agree. Whatever he is, I am so absolutely in love with him already. He is a really cool kitten.

He was basically a mute until this past week but he's definitely found his voice... and now he won't stop talking. It's very cute, like he's catching up on lost time the past ten weeks of saying absolutely nothing! I've heard that lots of talking is a trait of Siamese cats? Not sure how accurate that is.

Anyway, here's some more pictures, because I have hundreds (thousands?) of him on my phone and I've finally found a place that I can put them without judgement.

Last edited by Spea; 06-01-2016 at 05:22 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hopefully all 8 attachments are showing for you! I can only see 6 of them even though I uploaded 8.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Cat Addict

You should have a cuteness alert to that post!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Cool Cat

Spud is great! He's a throwback to an earlier generation somwhere in his ancestry... no doubt he looks just like his great great grandpa or something.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:14 AM
Kitten

my kittens are the exact same! There was a solid black mom, unknown father. The litter of five had a long hair tortie, long hair grey, and then my three which are a short haired dilute tortie, and a long and short hair "Siamese" looking kittens.
The two color pointed kittens both have bright blue eyes. It amazes me the variation that can be in one litter
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 AM
Kitten

oh! I just did a little more research and theres a breed called "birman" which have color points like the Siamese but are much fluffier and rounder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page