should second cat be the same breed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

should second cat be the same breed?

Hi, I have a 5 year old Bengal cat and I'm thinking of getting a second cat. Is it better for each cat if they were the same breed or does it no matter? i will be hoping the second cat will be around the same age. Unless it would be easy to get a kitten?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think breed matters as much as personalities of each cat. Before getting the 2nd cat, have you looked into doing proper introductions first? If not, I'd suggest reading from several resources (including our forum) and preparing yourself (and household) for some extra work and diligence to ensure a proper feline integration without too much stress on your cats and yourself and family members. So many people neglect doing the research needed ahead of time, and well...sometimes that neglect can work against them.

Kittens are easier for an older cat to get along with (since smaller kittens are less intimidating), but members also underestimate their care. You'd need to kitten-proof your entire home, make sure you've pre-selected a "saferoom" for the kitten for a few days minimum, give frequent feedings, provide more litter boxes, vet care, vaccinations, dewormings, licensing fees, etc. If you are well aware of all these things, I think you'd be fine.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Premier Cat

No it does not matter, but as TabbCatt said, personality matters. I realize sometimes it's hard, if not impossible, to assess a cat's personality before you bring it home. I would take things very slowly with introductions - search our sticky notes (archives) for cat to cat introductions and follow that advice for a smooth transition. Don't just throw them together and think they will love each other. You must take it slow.

Best wishes in your selection and welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on your choice.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Cat Addict

I've never had a pedigree so I am a bit ignorant but I've had all sorts and I agree with Marcia - it all comes down to personality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page