Airline travel with kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Airline travel with kittens

One or 2 of this bunch will be traveling by air in the next 4 weeks. They will be 11 weeks old by then, should be fully weaned. Any advice? Flight will consist of two 2 hour flights plus a layover to be determined.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone 011.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	106882  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Fanwood!
Will these little ones be flying in the cabin??
A crate, with puppy pee pads lining it, would do well for any accidents, take some spares!
Don't feed them right before flying, but if they want water, let them have it, air travel isn't only dehydrating for us, but any pets that travel with us, as well.
I'm sure other's will have some ideas and suggestions for you!
They sure are CUTE!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Cool Cat

My daughter's cat is a seasoned air traveler. I am assuming in-cabin.
Make your reservation ASAP as most flights only allow 2 pets on board.
Put a copy of the health records (check to see what is required for each state you takeoff or land in) in the pocket of the carrier. Put several cheap hand towels in the bottom of the crate and plan to put them in a ziplock bag (put several in the side pocket). You can toss the bag in the trash, if you want.
Give the cats access to the crate for several weeks before the trip. Mine actually like to sleep in it.
Get a harness and leash and get the cat used to it before the trip. You have to take the cat out of the carrier and walk through the metal detector. No way would I trust a collar only. My daughter's cat dive-bombs into the carrier after it is goes through the X-ray machine.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Cat

These guys will be traveling in the cabin. Probably via delta simply to shorten the travel time. First hop will be on a smaller jet out of Alexandria LA to Atlanta, then on to Newark. Two of the same litter are allowed in a single carrier, hopefully they will be able to comfort each other. Thanks for the advice. I have no intention of taking the kittens out of the carrier for a pre flight check but the Alexandria airport seems to only handle one plane at a time. If worse comes to worse I will ask for a check in a secure room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page