Any British Shorthair Experts? :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Any British Shorthair Experts? :)

I was hoping someone could take a look at this kitty for me..

I made an album also including his two siblings and his mom/dad ++

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Does he seem typically British Shorthair? I'm not super familiar with it, but his mouth/muzzle(?) looks a little bit strange - like not "smiley" and he seems quite thin? As does the mother? Do you think he would grow up to look like his father?

Would really appreciate your expertise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Premier Cat

Well, I'm not an expert on BSHs. When I was into Manx breeding for many years, I always admired the British Shorthairs at the shows and at one time did investigate the breed, but ended up with Manx...who have a similar cheeky look. The kittens, and their sire and dam and grand sire are adorable. Very interesting color on the first kitten (that's the one you're interested in?), not sure but it looks like "shaded silver"? Anyway, in the BSH the males are the cheekiest especially un-neutered when they have their fully developedl "stud jowls", the females with less pronounced cheeks. BSH's are a fairly slow maturing cat, like the Manx, and usually reach their full development by 3 yrs. I had a Manx breeder friend who also decided to breed BSH's, but didn't have them that long because she really likes a cuddly cat and they were not real lap sitters, tho they do like to follow you about and be near you. They're a pretty quiet cat too, like the Persian, without a lot of loud meowing you'd find in a Siamese. The Manx were chattier.
You mention that the kitten looks thin, I can't see that from the photo and I don't see it in his dam either, although some queens can lose some weight if it's a big litter (like six kittens). You would really have to feel the kitten to see if it was carrying proper weight.....shouldn't be able to feel each vertebra of the spine or the hip bones, and should have a light layer of fat over the ribs.
Anyway, I love the large rounded eyes on all the kittens----very sweet expressions, and lovely colors.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 09-01-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for your input!

Yes he is a really nice color - blue golden shade

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see them in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in