Gestation please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Gestation please help!

How long is a cats gestation period?? Please let me know because we are tring to plan when to get our kitty pregnant and unless we know how long the gestation is, we can't !!

Purrrrrrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Tom Cat

65 days.

Gestation table

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Just morbid curiousity (which someone may or may not turn into an argument)...

A) how old is your cat?

B) What are your reasons for wanting to get her pregnant?

Just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Sorry, but in my opinion, the fact that you do not know the gestation period of a cat suggests you are not experienced nor knowledgeable enough to be doing so. Please reconsider
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I agree with emma - you seem to be very uninformed about cat's breeding cycles in general and really need to know quite a lot before you "get your cat pregnant."

But I'm not even sure you know what the gestation period is - because it has nothing to do with WHEN you can get her pregnant, it is how long she will be pregnant.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

thankyou empath for answering my simple question, f.i.y I have had a litter before, and before you all start shouting at me for being an awful person, let me asure you that all the kittens went to lovely homes to people we knew well-as will any kitten we may have in the future. In some trustable cat knowledge I have picked up, it said that it is healthy for a cat to have 1 litter in her life time.

Purrrrrrr
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

yes and I am aware that is is how long she is pregnant for, but we have to make sure we can be there for her when she gives birth.

Purrrrrrr
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by helhoddy
In some trustable cat knowledge I have picked up, it said that it is healthy for a cat to have 1 litter in her life time.
Simply put, whoever said that is dead wrong...

It's an old wive's tail, and is completely untrue
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Emily (spacemonkey) is absolutely right.

In order to be with your cat when she gives birth you'll have to know the exact date on which she was fertilized. And, since, like human beings, a cat can be a bit late, you'll have to take her temperature regularly near the due date. It will drop one degree from normal (about 101-101.5) 24 hours before she delivers.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

Today we had a normal, young, healthy DSH brought into the vets. She had given birth to one kitten last night, then showed no more signs. She was brought in to work with a dead kitten stuck half out of her. The vet had to pull it out, and the cat's scream of pain was heartbreaking. Almost immediately, she started pushing again, but the same thing happened. She got the kitten half out of her vulva, then it got stuck. Again, the kitten was already dead, and again the vet had to pull it out manually. Due to the risk of damaging her cervix, the decision was made to open her up to remove any remaining babies (the vet could feel them inside her still) whether dead or alive. She had 2 more dead babies, and her uterus was in a real state. Three hours later, she was dead herself...

1) How can you say it was healthy for this cat to have a litter?
2) Are you prepared for this kind of eventuality?

The cats owners had been told that it was best to let their cat have a litter before neutering. They didn't particularly want to, but wanted to do what they thought was best for their cat. If only they'd called us. They are devastated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page