Large Litter/Genetics? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Large Litter/Genetics?

Apparently, my Mau girl had a false pregnancy, but she's pregnant now. The problem is, I can't tell how far along she is! My boy was reaching his sexual maturity when the false happened, and since we believed she was pregnant they've been allowed to be free together (our only other cats are spayed/neutered).

She's gotten huge, so I took her to the vet to get an xray, and she's not even at the 45 day mark yet. Her nipples never stopped pinking so I can't go at all off of that. I guess I'll just check her nipples daily to see if she's producing and that will be the only way to know when they're about to be born. I hate that this happened, but nothing goes perfectly and I've learned from it.

I've heard a lot of different theories with all of the people I've worked with over time, is the mother responsible for the number of kittens produced, or the father? Scientific reasoning leads me to believe the mother would since she drops the eggs, but most breeders I speak with swear it's decided only by the father.

The reason I ask this is because mom is HUGE right now and we thought she was due any day now with 2-4 kittens. She was one of 8 (but both her parents were from small litters) and dad was one of 3 with a history of small litters. Eight is a very high number for a cat litter, but that area of reproduction genetic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Kitten

Re: Large Litter/Genetics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihoshi
I've heard a lot of different theories with all of the people I've worked with over time, is the mother responsible for the number of kittens produced, or the father? Scientific reasoning leads me to believe the mother would since she drops the eggs, but most breeders I speak with swear it's decided only by the father.
You are right, the littersize IS only decided by the female unless there's a problem with the males fertility, off course. It has no affect how many times the male mates her or any of those other myths, it is settled by the number of eggs she drops and she only drops them once and not every time, she is mated.

A lot of times the littersize of a female will resemple her mothers - but a female might also have inherited a tendency from her fathers lines.

Helle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The wonderful thing about owning an Aby, is that you never look in the mirror and think your ears are large
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

I'm with Tick-Tag, the size of the litter depends on the genetics on the mothers side. Look at the mother and you'll know quite a lot about your own female: how many days your female with be pregnant and how big litters you can expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page