Help...family vacation planned...cat pregnant! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Jan
Kitten

Help...family vacation planned...cat pregnant!

All my life I have loved cats and wanted to share the experience of having 2 cats mate and have kittens once, and to share that with my children who are now 8, 11 and 13. Before choosing to have a male and female I spoke with many people and truely feel I will be able to give the kittens to responsible people.Well-I dont want to bore you with the details, but if I am correct, my girl is pregnant, and probably due very close to, or even WHEN our one and only family vacation is planned. It is 2 weeks that we will be across the country visiting my husbands family. It is a big deal and not something I could easily miss without a lot of expense, arguing, bad feelings etc. Normally I hire a neighbor to come in and spend a little time here daily, feed, water, litterbox etc...BUT now I don't know what the heck to do! A friend suggested I board her the 2 weeks I am gone, but wouldn't she be better in a familiar environment? She is a little skittish in unfamiliar places, new people, etc. It doesnt seem right. I know it all sounds irresponsible on my part to have not figured that the timing might be off . Actually I thought Summer would be perfect bcs except for those 2 wks, we are here all Summer. Our male is young, and I guess the 1st 2 cycles they mated, he was inexperienced and didn't know what he was doing...I am just guessing that is why she didn't get pregnant. I just didn't think the 3rd (and worst timeing as far as the Summer) would be a charm. Can anyone give me some advice? My husband does not seem too concerned. He says "Cats have had kittens for millions of years witthout human intervention, they will be fine if someone just stops in to feed them, check on them briefly etc." I am just not convinced. I love Sox (our girl) and Badger(our male) and am worried about the entire predicament. Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Um..okay, here's the deal.

You took on this responsibility, you need to deal with it. Even if it means missing a vacation. Our family sacrificed vacation last year so a foster cat could have kittens.

Things could go wrong. She could need intervention. Or a vet's help. I won't even get into the irresponsibility of breeding animals without knowing their lines or possible congenital problems...

Bottom line: you need to be there. And sacrifice whatever it takes because you brought these kittens into the world.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Kitten

You need to be there, so I recommend cancelling the trip. Something could easily go wrong and a pet sitter may not know how to react. The mother could have a difficult labor and need to go to the vet. Some of the kittens could need to be bottle fed if the mother is stressed and won't feed them. Or there could a kitten with genetic defects or even a stillborn.

I'm not trying to scare you but many things can possibly go wrong. I do feel the need to say that I disagree with breeding to show children the experience. It would have been better to have contacted a shelter and asked to foster an already pregnant cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Banned

'Experiencing the miracle of birth' is a common excuse I hear for irresponsible breeding. You could have visited shelters or even fostered a pregnant cat to experience the results without purposefully bringing more into the world. And really, you surely knew about your vacation 60 days ago when you allowed your cats to mate?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Cat

You need to be there w/ her. You got her into the mess you need to help her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks catlover_2004
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

This may sound harsch, but I think it's your responsibility to be there when she gives birth. You've planned this so it couldn't be a surprise that she'll give birth during your planned vacation (unless this vacation wasn't caused by some unexpected family event).

I'd say your choices are:

1.) Staying at home

2.) Bringing the cat with you

3.) Leave her with an experienced breeder or a with a vet
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Cat Addict

If you chose to breed these cats, I think you have an obligation to be there. No two ways about it.

Lisa
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Jr. Cat

You got her into it....Get her out of it safely, You owe that to her at least.

Dawnde
of
Kessjillian Cattey
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Jan
Kitten

trip planned/pregnant cat

I appreciate everyones input although I do think some of you are being a little hard on me. It is not as if I have let a cat of mine have multiple, unwanted litters, knowingly bred a sick cat, let an unfixed male wander the streets, abandoned a cat, had my cat get pregnant at less than one year of age. or left a queen to have kittens on her own with no responsible adult present. My cats were taken to the vet for shots and a check up before breeding them. They were given a clean bill of health. I have been doing some computer research about pregnancy and delivery and lets not forget that I DID contact you all at this sight for input. Jan
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Senior Cat

Re: trip planned/pregnant cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I appreciate everyones input although I do think some of you are being a little hard on me. It is not as if I have let a cat of mine have multiple, unwanted litters, knowingly bred a sick cat, let an unfixed male wander the streets, abandoned a cat, had my cat get pregnant at less than one year of age. or left a queen to have kittens on her own with no responsible adult present. My cats were taken to the vet for shots and a check up before breeding them. They were given a clean bill of health. I have been doing some computer research about pregnancy and delivery and lets not forget that I DID contact you all at this sight for input. Jan
There are 71,000 free-roaming cats in my county alone

It is estimated that 8 to 12 million animals enter shelters annually.

Only 25 to 35% of all animals that enter shelters are ever adopted.

It is estimated that 30 to 60% of all animals brought into shelters are euthanized.

One female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in six years and a cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 kittens in seven years!

Only 4% of cats and 14% of dogs that enter shelters are returned to their owners.

Spaying or neutering your pet eliminates uncontrolled breeding. It also greatly reduces risks of ovarian and mammary tumors

Eliminates testicular cancer in males

There are other options you could have taken besides putting your cat that you love in danger. Pregnancy is very stressful on an animal. An upspayed cat is 40%-60% likely to get mammary cancer. There are so many risks involved in "breeding" a cat especially if you are not expirienced.

I work in a shelter and we are constatly turing away cats and kittens because we just don't have the room for anymore. We have so many great animals that need homes. Since you have chose to bring more cats into this world that means someone other cats are going to be put to sleep.

At the vet I work @ we don't go a week w/ out someone dropping an animal or box of kittens at our door that we have to find homes for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks catlover_2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page