Pregnancy, heat etc questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Pregnancy, heat etc questions

I have two cats and I am hoping to breed them. They are both persians and the male (Frostie) is one month younger than the female (Pennie). I just want to know:

When do you expect that Pennie will go into heat?

Will Frostie be mature when she does?

When will Frostie be mature?

Will Frostie spray? His father has never sprayed before in his life.

Will this effect my other 2 cats?

Any other things I need to know?

Thanks in advance! I know you guys won't be able to know exactly but anything would be good to know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Re: Pregnancy, heat etc questions

When do you expect that Pennie will go into heat? Any time between 4 and 18 months of age.

Will Frostie be mature when she does? Maybe, maybe not.

When will Frostie be mature? Expect him to be mature at 6 months of age, but he may become mature earlier or later than that.

Will Frostie spray? His father has never sprayed before in his life. This you simply won't know until he's mature. Some say spraying hereditary, but I doubt it. I believe it's more about the enviroment. A fertile male that's surrounded by other fertile cats is quite likely to spray while a fertile male living alone (or with neuters only) in a family is more unlikely to spray.

Will this effect my other 2 cats? Maybe. A fertile male want's to protect his current territory and he might wanna expand it. Don't forget that fertile females can be very bossy and they can certainly effect other cats, in a less good way if one is unlucky.

Any other things I need to know? You need to know that you can't have the male and the female togehter alone... at all since the female can go into heat very, very early and males can to and you don't want a 4-5 months old female to get pregnant. So don't leave the two of them together unsupervised!

You also need to know that breeding cats is not an easy thing to do. It takes a lot of work, first of all to find good cats for breeding and then you need to have tests done (at Persians at least PKD-test). It costs money, time, sweat, blood and tears to breed cats, even if it's just one litter so do think about it. Are you ready to be awake for several days just to make sure your pregnant female don't have her babies all on her own? Are you reade (and an you afford) to take her to the vet in the middle of the night if something goes wrong?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Please read the thread at the top of this forum about what a good breeder is. It is a serious business, and I don't mean money-wise. If you do it right, and give your cats the best possible care they need and take all the precautions that a reputable breeder needs to take...then you will not make money doing this. You could be putting your cats in serious danger if you breed them without knowing what you are doing. There is a lot to know and a lot to study before you start doing this. Please please PLEASE do your research. If you have to ask these questions, which are only the BASICS...then that tells me you still have a lot to learn in order to keep your cats safe, and to be a reputable breeder. Please don't be a backyard breeder who cares more about the money than the cats, and contribute to the overpopulation issue. There are MANY similar threads in this forum about this. Please read them if you love your cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Yes I am pretty sure i am ready. Of course before I let them mate I would research everything! and if something unexpected ever happened we are in full contact with the breeder so she can give us helpful tips and information.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiliBean
Good

Its good to know that youre prepared and good luck with the breeding
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzRule
Yes I am pretty sure i am ready. Of course before I let them mate I would research everything! and if something unexpected ever happened we are in full contact with the breeder so she can give us helpful tips and information.
Not to start an agrument, but from the questions you are asking it doesn't seem like you are ready.

Thanks catlover_2004
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

lol. Yeah i know, i knew these things slightly but I wasn't sure. I just needed to make sure!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page