cat pregnant - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via MSN to jenny828
cat pregnant

I am new to this site and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on my cat. Her name is Tory and she is pregnant. I dont know exactly when she got pregnant because she got out of the house and disapeared for about a week and that was at the begining of May. For over a week now she has had milk, the babies have been moving for a few weeks. The last few days she has been acting very weird, she is sticking very close by me and cries when I leave the house. He eyes have been dialating and she seems to be having contractions. When she walks she is dragging her back legs behind her. And we have witnessed 4 times where her entire body is shaking uncontrolably and it lasts for a few mins and then stops and she is fine again. But when this happens she looks very sick and it is scary. I cleaned her litter box on friday and it doesnt look like she has used it at all. But she has been eating a lot the last few days. Actually twice as much as she normally does. We have confined her to the computer room I made a bed in the closet for her and put her box and food and milk in here with her. I have 3 small kids and I want to keep Tory and her babies safe. I also do not want her to hide them somewhere in the basement. I have found her a couple of times sleeping in one of the vents of our furnace. So I want to make sure they are all safe.
Could She be stopping her labor or something like that. It has been a long time since I have been around a cat that was pregnant. So im not sure if these are signs that she is in labor or not. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
The parts about her shaking uncontrollably and dragging her back legs does not sound normal to me. In any case, you should definitely take your cat to the vet if she is pregnant. She is very very close to giving birth if she got pregnant at the beginning of May. If you don't care for her properly, she could die. Call your vet, and then make sure to get her spayed after the kittens are weaned, and try VERY hard not to let her get out again, or she'll be pregnant again.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Like ForJazz said, take her to the vet. Angie is pregant and there is only one symptom that Angie has---that is eating twice as much.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I have spoke with her vet that has seen her all her life from the prev owners, which this is the 3ed time she has been pregnant. And according to the records that they have she has done this with both pregnancys. I did after posting this and reading on some of the other topics decide to call the vet and make her an appt. The soonest they can get her in is this friday. And I will be getting her fixed once she is able to be. This morning the one thing I have noticed is she is not moving very far. she will move a few feet, lay down rest for about 5 mins and then get up and move a little farther and do the same thing.
But according the the vet this is normal for her pregnancy when she is getting ready to have the babies. She did this with both others. But I am having her checked to be on the safe side. But I think she will have her babies before the appt on friday.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Cat Addict

If it wasmy cat, I would be getting a second opinion.

NONE of that sounds normal.

Also, I am just curious why an unspayed cat was allowed out in the first place?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Banned

The OP said she escaped and went missing for a week, so I don't think she was allowed to roam intentionally. BUT, she should have been speyed immediately after her return.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The reason that I didnt get her fixed was that after she returned I had the feeling that she was pregnant and knew they cant do anything about it until she has the babies. The plan all along was to get her fixed. I just got Tory from my husbands counsin about 3 months ago, and I dont let her go outside. One day my oldest son had some friends over and they left the back door open and she got out. I have taught my kids to make sure the door is shut at all times because I dont like having a cat that goes outside. There is not much I can do for getting a second opinion today with it being sunday. I will check with a few other vets tomorrow before I go to work and see what they say.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Cat Addict

Just for future purposes, a pregnant cat can still be spayed...it is done all the time, especially right after they become pregnant.

Good luck, keep us posted.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I was not aware that it could be done. I thought I would have to wait until after she weened the babies before I could take her in and get her spayed. I have never heard of an animal being pregnant and getting that done until after.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

And now after looking through a few other subjects on here, I realize that if I would have had her spayed it would have aborted the kittens. And that is something that I could not do. I do already have a few people that want the kittens and we are also planning on keeping one of them, and getting Tory and the kitten fixed when it is old enough. She has had 2 litters of kittens before and according to the old owner she also did the same thing she is doing now when she was pregnant before, as well as it was documented with the vet. I am taking her in to see them this week, and I am also going to call a few others in the morning to see what they say about the way she is acting. Where I live there are no vets open on sundays, and when I called hers it was the emergency line and the Dr. called me back within 5 mins of me calling. I have trusted this vet with my other animals that I have, as well as most of the people I know use this vet too. He is the best one that is in the City we live in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page