HELP - ADVICE NEEDED please! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to sallyburdett
HELP - ADVICE NEEDED please!

hello all i am totally new to this board and was hoping for some advice?
my beautiful cat "sheba" (a lilac cornish rex) was supposed to go to stud this month - however while hanging my lil girls nappies on the line (yes - shock horror i use cloth!) she got out last month mid season and i am positive she is expecting (hangs head in shame for being so stupid!). there are 3 "swellings" in her slightly expanded waistline. now i have a hnd in animal care and lots of experience with c sections in cats (from working at a vats) however i do need help in preparing for heir arrival? what do i need to do. sheba is getting used to my dog cage - to allow her n kittens pricacy and safetly from my toddler, and i have a huge supply of towels and the basic first aig equipment. i also hve a bottle of lactol n some syringes just in case. what else do i need to do? what are the signs on labour? as you can imagine the only cats i have seen have been c sections or have done it on their own during the night at college so i missed it!. from dates i expect her to be due around the 29th august! - i know the date isnt set in stone and she will have them when she is ready!. please please help. i was hopefully starting up my own cattery but all this has been put on hold due to this unexpected pregnancy! - the studs owner was going to talk me thru her pedigree birth but i feel to embarrassed to phone her now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

How sad that your beautiful queen has been caught by an unknown tom - I would get her tested for FIV & FeLV.

How old is she? Don't be scared to contact that breeder - just be honest and explain your problem. You sound like you are pretty sorted, and you should still be able to get wonderful homes, even if they are cross Rexes.

Make sure you post pics, and keep doors firmly closed in the future!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

Beautiful cat!! So graceful!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

A lilac tortie, now that's something I don't get to see very often She's beautyful.

Be ready to start watching her closely after about 60 days pregnancy, she can givet birth any time between 60 and 70 days pregnancy.

Even though I'm sure it feels embarrassing, call the stud owner and explain the situation. Any sensible person can understand that mistakes to happen (it happens even the most experienced breeders). Give the cats breeder a call to, they can probably help you through your females pregnancy and delivery. It's always nice to have someone more experienced to talk to.

Also contact your vet and ask her/him to be prepared for the delivery (if something should happen and you need a vet).

What she needs is peace and quite (and lots of love). Prepare the dog cage well on time so she's familiar with it before the delivery (however, cats tend to find their own places to give birth at ).

She will excrete a mucus plug about 24 hours before giving birth, sometimes one notices the plug, sometimes not. She will be probably be nesting a few days before delivery and being a Rex I think she will be VERY social and cuddly close to the delivery. My Devon Rex-female gave birth in a blanket one metre from my head (yes, I fell asleep)
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

hi all - i had her blood test results through yesterday - sorry should have put that on my original post - everything is clear, but she will need testing in 3 months again just to be sure.

i have phoned the stud's owner who thought it was hilarious!!! - only because it happened to her on her first breeding with her first queen!

i will contact shebas breeder too and explain what has happened - she was a lovely person so i am sure she will help, i feel better now about owning up to my mistake just because of the response i got from the suds owner.

here is a photo of the tom - i took one when he was hanging around after i had caught sheba and put he back indoors.

sally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Banned

He's laughing internally...
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Banned

He's a handsome looking big boy!!
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Tom Cat

Oh look at his pink nose

I bet your kittens are going to be soooo cute ..

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
He's a handsome looking big boy!!
I was just going to say something to the effect of, "Well, at least she chose a kitty who is almost as gorgeous as she is."

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

thanks for all the support people! i personally would have rather had a pedigree mating but they should be lovely kittens!

sally

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page