What would you call this? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What would you call this?

Here is one of the kittens i had born last week but i have never ever in my life seen a cat colored this way. The mother is a solid tortie and the father is just and unknow sperm doner lol.

We had two born like that, both girls, one has a few more spots then the other. I'm just wondering if this color/pattern has some sort of a name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Cat Addict

I definitely see orange and black.. is there white, too? If so, it looks like she could be a calico. Once the kitten ages a bit, the colors should become more prominent.

(Since I see three colors I'm assuming that it's a female.)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Banned

She's going to beautiful! Calico, but predominantly ginger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Niether one has any white on them at all. I know the paws in this picture look white but it was only because of the flash. They are actually just a lighter orange. Doesn't there have to be some white for it to be a calico??
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

In that case, she's tortoiseshell, whatever she is, she's beautiful!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Cat

What colors are the parents? I would guess that this kitten is geneticly a red cat, but with some "abnormal" pigmentetion. When red pigment clod together it looks black (sort of like a mole).

But, there is a possibility that this kitten is in fact a tortoiseshell with almost only red pigmentation. If she is then she is really a rare one, I have never seen it before. I have seen the opposite many times, i e a tortie with almost only black pigmentation and very little red. But there is nothing thats says that the opposite would be impossible.

The only way to know the truth (if it cannot be solved by looking at the parents, if she has one black parent and one red she simply MUST be a tortie), is to look at her offspring. If she has both red and black offspring, then she really is a tortie. If she has only red, the she probably is geneticly red.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Banned

You can't possibly be suggesting that this crossbreed kitten should be bred from?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
I sure HOPE she won't be having any "offspring"... She is beautiful and her color is rare, but this is absolutely no reason to breed a moggie.

Is it just me, or does this kitten look like it's going to have white feet? Can't see the face either -- it will be more obvious when the kitten grows.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh no she surely won't be bred. She'll be spayed and put in a pet home as will her sister and brothers. And i don't believe she'll end up with white feet. The picture is very missleading when it comes to the feet. The flash made them look almost totally white but they are actually orange and striped like the rest of the body just in a lighter shade. I will get better pics of her and her sister soon.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Yay! Thanks for replying. I'd love to see pics as this little girl grows up -- I hope you'll stick around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page