5.5 week old kittens question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

5.5 week old kittens question

Out of the 4 kittens 2 of them are walking and running confidently, another one is nearly there but the 4th one is still dragging her back legs when trying to walk. Is it normal that at this age she still cannot walk or am I worrying for nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Premier Cat

The fact that she is trying to walk is a good sign I'd say you are worrying unecessarily. When Willow had her kittens recently all three of them developed at different rates - one opened her eyes some 3 or 4 days before the others and I seem to recall she was walking and running around whilst the other two were still doing their crocodile crawling around the place.

Lots of sites will tell you that kittens are supposed to walk, wean, learn to drive at certain ages but they are only guidelines.

Let nature take its course. If you notice the kitten having difficulty then that's a different matter of course and straight to the vet you should go but honestly I wouldn't worry too much - I'm sure she'll be running around your feet in no time.

Stephie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... by Doodle
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel better, knowing that she is probably alright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Kitten

Send a message via MSN to beaton
My cat had quite a few litters and all kittens walked perfectly at 5.5 weeks. Kittens used to be able to go to new homes at 6 weeks here, meaning that they were expected to walk and run properly and eat solid food (not always the case). You should take that one to the vet. Good luck.

Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person - give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaton
Kittens used to be able to go to new homes at 6 weeks here, meaning that they were expected to walk and run properly and eat solid food (not always the case). You should take that one to the vet. Good luck.
Six weeks is too young to be parted from Mum, I'm glad that has changed now. I couldn't even get mine onto solid foods until 8 weeks (despite tempting them with everything I could think of). I took mine to the vets as I was so concerned and their advise matched exactly the advise I got here which was let nature take its course and if still concerned go to the vet - you can never be too careful with kittens.

So, I stand by what I say BUT I agree that if you are still concerned and there is no improvement that you should take baby to the vet.

How is he/she doing by the way?

Stephie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... by Doodle
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm afraid there's a neurological problem with this kitten. If it is dragging its back legs and can't move them, I would take it to the vet. I'm sorry, but I fear that this kitten will not be able to walk. It the nerves to the back legs were intact, the kitten would have some control over their movement. It's heart breaking, but I believe the condition is probably permanent.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to TxnKats Send a message via MSN to TxnKats
I agree, I would take him to the vet. A 5.5 week old kitten not eating solid foods is one thing, but one that drags their legs is totally different!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I think it looks like she is progressing. She is not totally dragging them. She is trying to leep using her back feet. Sometimes she also stands on them but when she tries to walk she slips. In fact I bought her kind of like a mat which I put on the floor so that she would not slip as much and maybe it would help her. However I will still take her to the vet. But I think she is progressing.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
I think it looks like she is progressing. She is not totally dragging them. She is trying to leep using her back feet. Sometimes she also stands on them but when she tries to walk she slips. In fact I bought her kind of like a mat which I put on the floor so that she would not slip as much and maybe it would help her. However I will still take her to the vet. But I think she is progressing.
good news.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to BamMcg Send a message via MSN to BamMcg
I got Beave at 5 weeks. He walked almost like he was drunk and couldn't walk straight at all, he didn't even play for a few weeks. He couldn't get out of his little bed or anything for about a week and a half. Just so you know, he's now jumping up to the top of our 6 ft. freezer knocking stuff off. At about 2 1/2 months he could jump onto our overly high bed(you know the ones you need a step stool to get in?) He climbs trees etc. I wouldn't worry unless he stops improving. But if you ARE worried, by all meens take him in to put yourself at rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page