Pregnant Cat Has Dark Brown Discharge...what is it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Pregnant Cat Has Dark Brown Discharge...what is it?

I have a pregnant cat that has been having dark brown (red tinged) discharge since last Wednesday night. She is acting normal and eating, but I am wondering what this discharge is, and I'm slightly worried.

I took her to my vet last Thursday, and the vet did an x-ray and said there is one large kitten inside, and that she should have the kitten soon. The vet did not know what the discharge was, but when I called the vet a day or two later, she said that sometimes there is discharge the week prior to birth. She took a swab and examined it under a microscope for several minutes, but then said it was inconclusive.

If anyone has experience with something like this, or knows what it is, I would appreciate some advice.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 04:20 AM
Premier Cat

Ive not known it to happen for a week.
I would go to a different vet. First of all this vet should have known better than to Xray a pregnant cat. This could damage the kitten inside.
Did the vet do tests on her? Or did the vet just presume it was this?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

We would normally do an ultasound scan, but we have xrayed pregnant bitches before. I have alsoi never known a discharge to last for a week - I would be worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks guys. I'll bring her back to the vet. Like I said, she is acting healthy, but has the strange discharge.

Could the kitten be dead inside, or would the vet be able to tell if things inside were OK by doing an ultrasound? The vet said before that she could do a caesarean-section, but I would only want surgery as a last resort. The vet also said she could give her drugs to "make" the kitten come out.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Premier Cat

an ultrasound is best first. You would be able to pick up the heart beat of the kitten with it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello guys, and thank you for the advice.

Here is the bad news. Her discharge went away for a few days, but came back a couple days ago and it smells bad. I took her to the vet and asked for an ultrasound, but none of the vets at the clinic I went to knew how to use the ultrasound machine. They recommended spaying my cat and removing her uterus, but I do not want to do that at all. How serious is this infection? The cat is not acting very sick and there is not allot of discharge. The vet I went to is pushing for me to spay her, but I think that is their business, and I do not want her spayed. Is surgery needed for this, or antibiotics and maybe flushing? The vet is saying she could die if not spayed. If anyone has experience, please let me know.

I had my doctor friend do an ultrasound, but they couldn't tell anything, I guess because they are used to doing humans. If I can find a vet that knows how to use their ultrasound, will they be able to tell if the kitten(s) has/have been expelled or are still inside?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden
Hello guys, and thank you for the advice.

Here is the bad news. Her discharge went away for a few days, but came back a couple days ago and it smells bad. I took her to the vet and asked for an ultrasound, but none of the vets at the clinic I went to knew how to use the ultrasound machine. They recommended spaying my cat and removing her uterus, but I do not want to do that at all. How serious is this infection? The cat is not acting very sick and there is not allot of discharge. The vet I went to is pushing for me to spay her, but I think that is their business, and I do not want her spayed. Is surgery needed for this, or antibiotics and maybe flushing? The vet is saying she could die if not spayed. If anyone has experience, please let me know.

I had my doctor friend do an ultrasound, but they couldn't tell anything, I guess because they are used to doing humans. If I can find a vet that knows how to use their ultrasound, will they be able to tell if the kitten(s) has/have been expelled or are still inside?
Worst case scenario, it's pyometra and that can kill a cat if left untreated. It almost killed my oldest female last summer. If it's an infection your cat, at the leats, needs antibiotics. I think you're primary concern right now should be to save your cat, even though it might mean losing the kittens. I do know of pregnant females that have been treated for pyometra and given birth to perfectly healthy litters thought. In these females the antibiotics have been given in doses high enough to keep the infection under control, but low enough not to cause any damage in the kittens. But, the females have all needed an ordinary treatment with antibiotics after the kittens have been born because the treatment they got during the pregnancy wasn't good enought to kill the infection off, just to hold it back.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Sol. What was the treatment that was applied to your cat with pyometra...did she need surgery, or just antibiotics? I'm giving her antibiotics currently; as of today.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 AM
Banned

The poor cat needs to be speyed. Pyometra is very quickly fatal without surgery, and its most likely that the kittens inside her are dead already, so she'll have to have surgery to remove them. Please do what's best for your cat and follow your vets advice; why don't you want her speyed after she's been through such an awful experience?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden
Thanks Sol. What was the treatment that was applied to your cat with pyometra...did she need surgery, or just antibiotics? I'm giving her antibiotics currently; as of today.
My cat had to be spayed and given antibiotics. Only antibiotics wouldn't have worked for her. One can treat with antibiotics and hormones (prostaglandin). The hormone will however kill the kittens since the hormones are used in order to get the pus out of the uterues. The kittens will follow the pus out from the uterues. In your case, spaying and antibiotics would be a better choice than hormones and antibiotics. Hormones are, to my knowledge, only used on females that aren't pregnant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page