What breed, if any is this cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What breed, if any is this cat?

My kitten has short legs, and I am wondering if by any chance the mother looks like she is a certain breed, or maybe even mix, that would have short legs, as I am not sure as to why my cat has the short legs.

This is the picture of the mother

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
See the sticky at the top of the forum:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15252

Basically it says that every defining characteristic is just a gene. Your kitty has the gene for short legs. Munchkins are a breed with short legs -- but they just became a breed from selective breeding of a naturally ocurring mutation -- just like in your kitten. Your mama cat looks like a domestic longhair and she's beautiful. Her kitten is a domestic with short legs. Usually you can't officially call a cat by a specific breed name unless it's registered and it has a record of 4-5 generations of that breed -- but Munchkins are one of those breeds where sometimes the parents have long legs and are just a carrier for short. So I'm not sure what the rules are there. I do know that A) you can't officially call it a munchkin b/c it has no papers, is not registered, cannot get registered, and does not have breeding parents. B) you can unofficially call it whatever you want. and C) you have cute kitties.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Ive seen munchkin cats, but her legs arent that short. Theyre short, but not like that.

I am pretty sure that the father was a maine coon cat, as one of kittens has very coonish features.

The mom is a pretty cat, but she is not ours actually, we probably would have gotten her if we didnt have Molly and Peaches already.

You can see the kittens in my signature, theyre the ones on the ends. You cant see the coonish look to the one on the left in that picture, but shse defenently has the mane and all that stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Cat Addict

In response to your Maine Coon theory, I would again recommend that thread I linked you too. And as for the short legs thing -- there are no other breeds of cats that are known for having short legs, and Maine Coons especially are VERY large cats. I doubt you have a purebred running around breeding with random strays. It sounds like it's just a gene that the kitten got due to random breeding. Are your cats neutered?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

yeah, they came spayed.

I dont know if the mom was osmeones cat and they didnt want her after she was pregnate or what not.

THe one that has the coon features is pretty big.

I have seen some other coon mixes, they seem to be the most commen mix Ive seen.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Cat Addict

Persians and Siamese are the most common mixes, I believe. Domestic longhairs are VERY common. Did you read that thread? Maine Coons can reach 30 pounds. And yet, just because the cat is big, has long hair, and a square muzzle...does not make it a Maine Coon. Read the thread -- it's helpful.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I already read it.

Actually, there are quite a few main coon mixes around me. There are some breeders in near by towns, and if you fo to shelters, you always see at least 2 coon mixes.

my mom had a female coon when she was younger, and it only got to be 12 pounds. It did die young though, so it may have been sick.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Cat Addict

And do you know that often shelters list DLHs as Maine Coon mixes to get them adopted faster? Not trying to be a jerk -- just stating facts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Theyre mostly from the area's where the cats are breed. I can tell the diffrence between a coon and a DLH. As these coons are pretty big cats, even the babies.

But they all dont look like coons,

on another foirum this persons Maine Coon and Domestic cat mated, and one of the babies was a short hair cat that looked like a taby.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Cat Addict

Sounds cute, but it's too bad that she let that happen with her cats. And yeah -- sometimes that happens where kittens don't look like the parents. I bet there are SO many siamese mixes out there at this point, but most of them look like dshs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page