Question- pictures too - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to BamMcg Send a message via MSN to BamMcg
Question- pictures too

Okay, I went to the Humane Society to pick up a cat trap for some kittens under our house and they had two 2 1/2 week old kittens there waiting to be processed and euthanized. I insisted on bringing them home to bottle feed them so now I have them. How do you tell the difference between a boy and girl? I THINK the black and white is a girl and the orange and white is a boy. He's a little bigger genatal wise and I can feel what feels like two testes. They are covered in flees, or were until there warm bath. How often do I need to feed them? Do I need to make them go potty like a newborn? What are their chances? Do they look two and a half weeks to you? They were wrestling and playing and put up a good fight durring their bath. Both also ate about 1/2 ounce an hour ago, maybe less from the few drops they missed but they attacked the bottle. Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Cat Addict

No advice, but BLESS YOU for saving these little angels! Just beautiful.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:49 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

We need to take a look on their bottoms to be able to decide gender

They'll need to be fed about every 2nd/3rd hour and you have to rub their tummies gently with a nice warm and moist towel (not a hot and wet one, the towel is supposed to imitate the mothers tounge) after every meal. They'll need appr. 4 tbsp of kitten formula each every day.

If they're properly fed and are given a warm place to sleep (and of course, get a lot of love) they'll probably be just fine.

I recommend you getting in touch with a good vet. Caring for such small babies isn't easy.

They're gorgeous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you. I have bottle fed other animals before, but never really had to stimulate. Beaver was 4 weeks or so when I bottle fed him, really just sqeezed a little in his mouth and let him swallow. I've fed them three times thus far. Once when we got home, then again two hours or so later and now, three hours later. I'm worried about over feeding because they'll eat as much as I'll give them. The kittens are hungry, both ate about one table spoon just now, the time before that, and half an ounce the first time, they had gone a long time without mom by then and were screaming by the time we got home. The orange kitty has almost got the hang of the bottle. I sqeeze a few drops in his mouth and he sucks a little. The black and white is a little harder but both seem fine. They are little wiggle warts climbing all over me and while I'm holding them they won't even sleep. I have stimulated them and they've both peed twice, both times right after eating, but haven't gone poo and I'm a little worried about that. It broke my heart that they were going to euthanize them. And oh was hubby mad when I brought them home! But they'd be gone by now, at least if I left them, so I really don't care what he says and he'll get over it. I guess it's this and the fact we have three more kittens from under the house in the bathroom to tonight lol. Thank you for your help. I have a vet, a friend of the family, to write to via e-mail when ever I need her too. Thanks again.
Amber
PS- hehe I could send a picture of the poor kittens hind end if it would help lol.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Cat

Amber, you're amazing......I have no advice to give you either, just wanted to let you know how special you are!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you. All the praise I need is the fact they may survive. That would make me happy. I'm having to decide something. A friend offered to take them for me. She has fostered many kittens from newborn and I think they might have a better chance with her. But they're doing so well except for the fact they still haven't gone poo for me. They're good at peeing, let me tell you, and have had pee accidents between feedings too in bed. At least I know if I need a night of sleep, I can call her. Any opinions on whether I should send them over to her house or not? Also, she took a look at the two and we are both convinced the orange is a male and the black and white, a female. Both are doing great and still very active and trying to get out of their box by climbing the blankets. They also have distict personalities. The male is the curious one and seems to get in the most trouble and loves crawling EVERWHERE, he hates to sit still. The female is the cuddler and licks everything and likes laying craddled on her back. She plays with her own paws and both of them are grooming themselves. The female is just a sweetheart. She'll be hard to give up. They've figured out the bottle and recognize it when I comes their way. The male actually grabed it while I was holding him in the same hand, I wasn't even ready to feed him quite yet. They are so precious. Thank you guys.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamMcg
Thank you. All the praise I need is the fact they may survive. That would make me happy. I'm having to decide something. A friend offered to take them for me. She has fostered many kittens from newborn and I think they might have a better chance with her. But they're doing so well except for the fact they still haven't gone poo for me. They're good at peeing, let me tell you, and have had pee accidents between feedings too in bed. At least I know if I need a night of sleep, I can call her. Any opinions on whether I should send them over to her house or not? Also, she took a look at the two and we are both convinced the orange is a male and the black and white, a female. Both are doing great and still very active and trying to get out of their box by climbing the blankets. They also have distict personalities. The male is the curious one and seems to get in the most trouble and loves crawling EVERWHERE, he hates to sit still. The female is the cuddler and licks everything and likes laying craddled on her back. She plays with her own paws and both of them are grooming themselves. The female is just a sweetheart. She'll be hard to give up. They've figured out the bottle and recognize it when I comes their way. The male actually grabed it while I was holding him in the same hand, I wasn't even ready to feed him quite yet. They are so precious. Thank you guys.
If you think they'll have a better chance with her I think you've already answered the question.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
If you think they'll have a better chance with her I think you've already answered the question.
Well, I might think my kids would have a better life living with Bill Gates, doesn't mean he is getting them. LOL.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

So, now you see the predicament! I've fallen for the little guys, guess I did when I found out they were being euthanized. They are still doing well and jumping for the bottle. I took them out to play on the carpet, they are walking pretty well and I have to keep a close eye on them. But one picked up a peice of cat food and tried to eat it, untill I took it away, so I wanted to see if they'd go for some canned food. They attacked it and it had only been 45 minutes since they fed! I only let them have a couple of bites, didn't want their tummies upset. But they are still doing well. The black and white one pooed last night and they are now having lots of accidents pee wise, like on my carpet, so I'll see if they'll use a tiny litter box. I think they are 3 weeks old, but they are just so darned active and grooming themselves etc, it's amazing. They've perked up so much since I first got them and they're purring now too!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Bam, I'm so glad you rescued those sweet little kittens! This is a great story!

This link will help you to sex them:
http://www.vetinfo.com/csexcat.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page