Hemmingway cat????? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hemmingway cat?????

So, my neighbor got a new kitten. Cute little black thing! Her name is Katrina. She was commenting on how she got this "purebred" for free because the breeder was in NO and lost most of her cattery and had to find homes for the surviving cats.
It looked like a normal black DSH to me, so I asked, "oh what breed is she?" She said "she's a Hemmingway, they have apposable thumbs".
Now, knowing that polydactyl cats are pretty common in mixed breeds, I just had to go home and look this up! Apparently people actually breed these-also known as American Polydactyl! From what I can tell they are NOT a recognized breed of cat. I asked one of my coworkers about this, she's a Singapura breeder and a cat judge. She just kind of shook her head.
My poor neighbor is so proud of her "Hemmingway Cat". Luckily she didn't pay anything for her, and is having her spayed when she is old enough. The cat will have a good home, but I feel bad for my neighbor. Part of me wants to tell her this is not a real breed of cat, but another part says what harm is it doing???????

Jennifer and the monsters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Hemmingway cat is just another name for polydactyl cats. It's probably a regular DSH.

There's no harm in letting her believe her cat is a purebred though. With time she might understand that she has got a lovely DSH, but for now she's just completely inlove with her new baby so there's no point in arguing with her.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Apposable thumbs are a lot different than mitten hands. A polydactyl cat still can't pick up a glass of water.

I think there's no harm in letting her believe the cat is purebred, unless she starts thinking about buying another, or telling others to buy one. I don't think this kind of breeder should be supported in any way. If it were me, I would tell her -- just because I wouldn't want her to waste her money (or encourage someone else to) on a "purebred" polydactyl when there are plenty in shelters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yeah, I guess I've decided to let her think it is nothing more than a real purebred. She's getting her fixed so there is no problems there.

I could barely keep a straight face at the apposable thumbs part. One of my cats is diabetic and I'm pretty sure she's always thinking "I'd take care of those dogs with some of that insulin..... if only I had apposable thumbs". So when my neighbor commented on the apposable thumbs that was the first thing that popped into my mind!

Jennifer and the monsters
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
That's funny. I'd let her know that chimps have apposable thumbs, not polydactyl cats. lol

As far as the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing...I think you're doing the right thing unless she thinks about buying another one or encouraging someone else to.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Cat

bless, it wont do any harm if shes 'proud' of her 'purebred', especially if its getting speyed ( but i bet the vets shatter her dreams! )
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Jr. Cat

Just leave your neighbor alone. She is happy, and who does it hurt that she thinks her cat is purebred, if she is not planning to breed it? Hemingway cat, indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page