Siamese Mixes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Siamese Mixes

I'm curious to know, what is the true definition of a siamese mix? Is it simply a moggie(mixed breed cat) with some siamese genetics? How much siamese does a cat have to have to be classified as a siamese mix?

How many of you have a siamese mix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to TxnKats Send a message via MSN to TxnKats
I think generally people call their domestics (moggies) that are pointed Siamese Mixes or sometimes if a cat has a "Siamese personality" or is out of a pointed "mix" cat (but not pointed) they also get thrown into the "Siamese Mix" class. Some might actually come from a pedigreed Siamese mating with a non-Siamese, but I think more often someone just sees a pointed cat, so calls them a Siamese Mix. For my two pointed "moggies" (cream point and white and a red lynx point and white) I just call them DSH and their color since the pointed gene isn't just for Siamese cats...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

The "true definition" would be any offspring of a purebred Siamese (with papers) and a cat of any other breed or a moggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I have a siamese mix but no papers to prove it other than the description of the breed on her adoption papers from the San Diego Department of Animal Control stating she is a siamese tortie and white mix. Does that count? The other proof is her appearance of having some seal point markings, tiramisu or coffee like coloring and blue eyes. I'm wondering if any of you forum members own siamese mixes and can you post pictures please? I'd love to see a variety of siamese mixes. I've already posted mine in the cat chat section under the topic, "Why your cat is the best in the world."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
moggiegirl -- yours is an example of what JJ was talking about. Your girl has points, but there is no way to tell if one of her parents were really siamese. The pointed gene shows up in many breeds, so without proof of who her parents are, you don't really know if she's a siamese mix. But almost ALWAYS, shelters will list a pointed cat as "siamese mix" because of the points, and because they get adopted faster that way. Sad but true.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForJazz
moggiegirl -- yours is an example of what JJ was talking about. Your girl has points, but there is no way to tell if one of her parents were really siamese. The pointed gene shows up in many breeds, so without proof of who her parents are, you don't really know if she's a siamese mix. But almost ALWAYS, shelters will list a pointed cat as "siamese mix" because of the points, and because they get adopted faster that way. Sad but true.
Don't the blue eyes along with the markings prove it? Well, it doesn't matter. I love her just the same. She's my precious baby and she's beautiful and wonderful to have. I would have adopted her even if the papers didn't say that. Actually I wasn't even looking for a siamese. I have heard that siamese are very intense kitties, knock things off shelves, can't live in condominiums, but I did fall in love with Rosie, siamese mix or not. (But I still think she is part siamese) She also has a wonderful temperament for indoor living even in a modest condominium.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
Don't the blue eyes along with the markings prove it?
No -- not at all. Do you know what I mean when I say "points?" I mean that the extremities of the body are darker. The characteristic siamese "look" is a darker face, darker ears, darker feet, and a darker tail. I am guessing your kitty is a tortie point. But as already mentioned, the pointed gene is present in many breeds, not just siamese. And ALL pointed cats have blue eyes. So do some white cats, and rarely but sometimes in other colors.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ok, so just to help me learn a little more about kitty genetics, because I find this stuff really fascinating, how can a cat have seal point markings, blue eyes, and coffee with beige and cream type coloring if the cat doesn't have either siamese, ragdoll, or birman, or himalayan ancestry? Looking at her tortoishelle markings it's evident that her mother was a female tortoishelle but her father had to have been a purebred of some kind. Rosie has short fur so that pretty much rules out himalayan or ragdoll so one of her relatives must be siamese or birman. What other kinds of breeds can have these markings? And if there are no purebreds in her genetic lineage but just regular moggies then how can she look like this? Just want to know how it's possible.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

No, the father doesn't have to be purebred. The moher and the father surely must carrie colorpoint, but non of them have to be purebred. Your cat probably do have some ancestors (at least one from them others side and one from the fathers side) that are Siamese, Birman, Ragdoll, Persian, Devon rex, Cornish Rex etc. but it doesn't have to be the father. It can be a grandmother and a great grandfather or so.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page