My cat is pregnant - serious advice needed (updated) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My cat is pregnant - serious advice needed (updated)

Ok ...

My cat is pregnant. She is at about 7 weeks. I live in a bachlor apartment with a semi second floor. However, the entire place is like one big room. I have two cats. The mother and the father. The father is getting fixed next week.

Anyway, please may I have some adivce on how to help her out. I don't have a seperate room other than the bathroom. So, I really don't know where to put her. I already prepared a box with blankets in it near the food and water and litter box. But, I started reading through here and noticed people saying they should have their own room.

Also, what do I do if she has the kittens somewhere not safe like the bathroom floor and not the box. Can I, should I, move them to the box I made up for her?

The worst part is that my apartment is determined by my employer, and he said I may have to move soon. The problem is he hasn't got an exact date. I will then be in a full apartment, but with the way things work in Korea I will never know the date until the last minute. Once I know, I will likely only be able to delay for a few days. Some advice on what to do here would be great because I may have to move (or may not).

And if I stay what can I do?

Thanks in advance, I really need some help ... .

m ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
First of all, I have heard VERY GOOD things about Korean cat food. So if you could post the ingredient list and nutritional analysis of Korean cat foods, we can help you pick out a food, so you don't have to spend $$$ on American cat foods. I know a lot of members would recommend Innova and Wellness, but there is a good chance it would be unaffordable in Korea (I am from Taiwan, and American cat foods cost $$$ in there).
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Cat Addict

no offense shengmai but I don't think brands of cat food are on his mind right now. Unfortunately I have not dealt with a pregnant cat before so I cannnot offer much help but I am sure someone can and will. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
MMM... I have birthed many many dogs before but never cats. In my experience, when someone cuts unwashed old clothes into little rags (so it still has the owner's scient on them) and put them in a big cardboard box the rags greatly calm the pregnant dog.

I don't know if it works for cats, though.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Cat

You may not know what to do, but I'd say she probably does. Just try to provide a safe, clean environment -- nature will hopefully provide the rest.

These articles may be of help to you --
http://cats.about.com/od/reproduction/

CatDad

Don't forget to have them fixed along with mom & dad at the appropriate time ... good luck.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Cat

My cat gave birth to kittens over a year ago.

We set up a cozy bed for her in the bedroom closet. Of course, she didn't have her kittens where we wanted her to, she chose her own spot!

She had her kittens under the bed where she likes to sleep/hide.

My advice is: make her cozy bed or shelter in a place where she likes to hang out. She won't have kittens where you want her to have them, she'll have them where she feels comfortable.

Make sure she's eating well. There are posts up on this forum about feeding kitten food for extra nutrition for the expecting mommy.

You'll probably have to keep the daddy cat separated from the mommy cat when the time is near, and then keep daddy cat away for a while, until it's safe to do proper introductions to the new kittens. I'm not so sure on a timetable for when the introductions should take place ... we did it slowly, weeks after the kittens were born. Of course, we were able to keep the mom/kittens in the bedroom (we let the mom cat out frequently to do her business) and keep the dad away.

If you do a search, you'll find lots of helpful topics of cats and pregnancies.

Wish you the best!

I know cats aren't that loved in Korea (I'm Korean), so good luck finding good homes for them, too, if you're not keeping them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I was hoping for more advice than this. I thought some people here would be little more forthcoming with their experiences or thoughts.

Anyway, does anyone think it would be better for me to have the father moved to a friend's place until after the kittens are born and old enough? Or should I leave him here with her? I worry that in that case reintroduction will be difficult.

As for the potential of moving I will deal with that later if, or when, it comes.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

oh yea, thanks catdad for the links ... I already read a lot of those.

And one more question:

If Misha has her kittens somewhere I think is inappropriate, can I move them to the nest I made for her?

thanks in advance .. .
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to embirs2
Hi,
It's been years and years since I've had a cat with kittens. They tell you not to touch the new kittens but we always did and never had any issues. My advice is get her settled in the box now. Watch for where she's sleeping and hanging out. Use old clothes, baby pads or baby blankets, make sure she can easily get in and out and can see out. It would probably be better to have the opening on the side, not the top. Once you've done that, if she has her kittens somewhere else - like under the bathroom sink you will have move them. Go in while she's there. Pet her, pet the kittens. Pick each one up then hold it up to her to lick and then put them back down. Go get your kitten box and bring it to where she had them. Put her and 1 kitten in the box then add the others. Make sure she's calm and likes the box. Using the baby blankets let us change and wash them when they get too soiled (especailly after deliver). If she doesn't like what you've done she will move them. As long as the kittens are warm and safe you may have to let her decide where they're going to nest. The biggest trick is to not stress her out. Also, you need to see how your other cat reacts to the kittens. Other cats and dogs have been known to kill kittens. He may need to be kept separate from the mama and kittens. If you have no other room, use the bathroom or a large closet. She will need space to get up and rest away from the kittens and you can let her out when you're home but until you're comfortable that the male cat won't harm them, you're better off keeping them separate.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

Motley,

I'm going to move this thread over to Breeding for you. The breeders there who have been through the pregnancy and birthing process should have more advice for you.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page