Please Help, My brothers cat JUST had kittens...need advice! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to missjess2069
Please Help, My brothers cat JUST had kittens...need advice!

she had six, so far six made it...she just had them a few hours ago...i don't know what if anything i should do...

sorry i guess i should be more specific...not all of the kittens can get to a nipple...this is her second birth...the first she had one kitten and it died about 15 minutes after she gave birth...should i leave the window open for her to go in and out? what if she moves the kittens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to missjess2069
read some posts on newborns

well i got alittle more info...but any important advice would help
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
No -- keep her indoors to ensure her safety and the safety of her kittens. The poor cat also needs to be spayed when her kittens are old enough to be weaned -- she shouldn't just be allowed to have litter after litter...it's unhealthy for her. Good luck with the kittens -- what are you planning on doing with them when they are older?

It's normal for a mama cat to want to move her babies if she feels that they are unsafe. Make sure she and the kittens are confined to a single room with nothing dangerous around (no strings, sharp objects, wires, cleaning products, etc.). Make sure there are lots of comfy spots for her to lay and "nest." Usually towels inside of a cardboard box is comfy. If she moves them somewhere else, it's not a big deal as long as it's not dangerous. She's just doing what she feels is safest for her kittens. But do not let her go outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Weigh the kittens daily. That's a good way to see of they get enought food. With six kittens it's possible that one or two of them will have a harder time getting food and then you might have to bottle feed them with kitten formula.

And no. She shouldn't be allowed to go in and out as she wishes. She shouldn't under any circumstances be given the chnce to move the kittens out of the house. She can go into another heat next week and get pregnant again so no... she really shouldn't be allowed to go outside. Take her out in a leash if she has to go outside.

Give the little family their own room. They need peace and quite, a warm bed and good food. Solid food can be introduced to the kittens when they're 3-4 weeks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page