What Breed Charactaristics Do I have ? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What Breed Charactaristics Do I have ?

I have just recently purchased a new kitty addition to our home.

Both Parents were on site. Father is purebread white hearing turkish angora and mother (snook into the room where father was being kept until his neutering) is what I was told Blue Russion / with some siamese somewhere in her blood line.

Here is Lennox. Can you tell me by looking at him, what he might have gotten from his father and his mother ?

He is male, 8 weeks old and a very good kitty.

Thanks a bunch.

From Kim

Here he is 5 Weeks

Here he is 6 Weeks

Here he is 8 Weeks

Here he is 8 weeks
[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
Well if dad is a white turkish angora, then you have that answer. A "russian blue with siamese somewhere in there" isn't accurate, because russian blue is a purebred cat. If the cat is gray, or "blue," then it's a blue domestic shorthair. (Lots of people make the mistake of calling any gray cat a russian blue.) If the cat is pointed, then she was a pointed domestic shorthair. I couldn't tell you without pictures, but I can tell you she wasn't purebred. That kitten is ADORABLE!!! I can tell you one thing -- it got good genes from dad AND mom, and I hope you have tons of fun with him.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I agree the mother was probably a dsh grey cat. The owners of the cats thought she was a russian blue w/ siamese.

I dont have any pictures of the mother, all i can say is she was grey. solid. No points.

Here is the father

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmriche
I agree the mother was probably a dsh grey cat. The owners of the cats thought she was a russian blue w/ siamese.

I dont have any pictures of the mother, all i can say is she was grey. solid. No points.

Here is the father

I'm not an expert on genetics and what coat patterns are recessive/dominant...but obviously your kitten is pointed. So that means that mama cat did have the pointed gene, it's just that she didn't express it. And having points does not mean she was siamese -- many breeds including many domestic shorthairs are pointed. Because if dad is a turkish angora, then he couldn't have the pointed gene as TAs are never pointed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

The colorpoint gene exists in the Russian Blue. It's not common, but once in a while pointed Russians are born. I don't know if colorpoint exists in the Turkish Angora though and both of the parents have to carry the gene in order to get colorpoint offspring.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Kim,

I don't know anything about breeding but those pictures of Lennox are adorable, especially the last one of him peeking out of the suitcase (?). You should post these over at the "Meet My Kitty" section.

----------
Renée
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Premier Cat

Re: What Breed Charactaristics Do I have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmriche
Here is Lennox. Can you tell me by looking at him, what he might have gotten from his father and his mother ?

Here he is 8 weeks
Yes... he got the cute as a button gene

Stephie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... by Doodle
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
The colorpoint gene exists in the Russian Blue. It's not common, but once in a while pointed Russians are born. I don't know if colorpoint exists in the Turkish Angora though and both of the parents have to carry the gene in order to get colorpoint offspring.
If the pointed gene exists with russian blues then it probably exists with turkish angoras, as the breed standard seems much more strict for russian blues. I never would have guessed that points existed for russian blues. Interesting. Can you tell me more about that?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForJazz
If the pointed gene exists with russian blues then it probably exists with turkish angoras, as the breed standard seems much more strict for russian blues. I never would have guessed that points existed for russian blues. Interesting. Can you tell me more about that?
The Russian Blue was basically extincted during the second world war and when some people decided to recreate the breed they used moggies and Siamese cats. It's as simple as that. Today it's possible to gene test for the colorpoint gene so if the Russian Blue breeders wanna eliminate the colorpoint gene from the breed it's possible, but I don't think it's many that are willing to pay for it. It's "just" wrong color and it isn't very common with colorpoint Russians.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Cat Addict

Ah that makes sense. Thanks Sol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page