"Raccoon" Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

"Raccoon" Kitty

If you don't mind a few questions from a non-breeder who owns only strays...

My friend has a DSH kitty with an interesting pattern. He's mostly uniform charcoal gray (blue?), but with dark raccoon-like rings around his tail, and nowhere else. He also has two small white spots on his chest and belly, more frosted than pure white. He doesn't have a silver undercoat.

From a genetic standpoint, is he a tabby? And/or piebald? If not, is there another category he might fit into? He just doesn't look like any of the textbook pictures.

I don't have any photos, but I can try to get one if that would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Cat

Hard to say without a picture, but he could be pointed. Does he have blue eyes and tabbymarkings in the face and on the legs and paws to? And with a lighter color on the body?

Like this (but without the white on the paws):

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks, dragonfire! He doesn't look like the cat in the photo. He's much more of a uniform dark gray, everywhere but his tail. The stripes on his tail are a slightly darker shade of gray, nothing really dramatic, so it's possible that he has some subtle stripes on his forehead and paws that I've never noticed.

I haven't had time to visit him for the past week because I've had a family reunion going on. I'll definitely be seeing him this Saturday, and I'll get a photo then.

In the meantime, do you know of any good web pages that explain cat genetics (for the layperson) and have photos to illustrate how the different genes are expressed? I've found a few sites with good explanations, but accompanying photo illustrations seem to be rare. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Here's http://www.fanciers.com/other-faqs/color-genetics.html a good site about the color genetics in cats and here's a whole site with links to other genetic sites: http://www.cat-world.com.au/Genetics.htm
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Cat

Sorry, I don't know any such site in english. I would recommend my own website, but the genetics-section is only in swedish.

If you tell me wich colors/genes that you would like to se a picture of, I could find one for you!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Cat

Is it a kitten? Because then the rings can disappear when the cats gets older. Ghost marking, it's called in english.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PEOPLE COME AND GO, BUT CATS LEAVE PAWPRINTS ON YOU HEART.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for all your responses! I'm continuing to do research, but in the meantime, I found a breed of cat that he resembles. He looks a lot like a Russian Blue:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... =&ei=UTF-8

The biggest differences are that his tail is ringed in the darker gray color instead of solid, and he doesn't have that pretty all-over silver tipping, although he does have some spots on his chest that are frosted white. He does have thick fur and greenish eyes.

So could his genotype be similar to theirs, but with Agouti and without sliver tipping?

Are Russian Blues pointed? Their tails are dark, but they don't seem to have the rest of the markings.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

I've been told that many "domestic" (ie non-purebred) solid-color cats have ringed tails. Maybe they all have some tabby genes? I don't know. Tommy was a gray & white bicolor, and while the gray on his body was a solid gray, he had faint rings on his tail.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
I've been told that many "domestic" (ie non-purebred) solid-color cats have ringed tails. Maybe they all have some tabby genes? I don't know. Tommy was a gray & white bicolor, and while the gray on his body was a solid gray, he had faint rings on his tail.
All cats, even the purebred cats, have a tabby gene.
Here is one link: http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/tabby_genetics1.htm .
Quote:
The TABBY gene is the gene that determines the pattern of a cat. ALL cats are tabbies, and carry one of the tabby patterns - yes, even your solid colored Persian has tabby genes!

The AGOUTI gene is what determines whether or not the tabby pattern is expressed visibly.

These 2 genes, working together, are what create a tabby.

PEOPLE COME AND GO, BUT CATS LEAVE PAWPRINTS ON YOU HEART.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

Thanks!! My cat lesson for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page