Miraculous recoveries - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Miraculous recoveries

I began volunteering at a cat shelter in 2005. There was one room that I loved to volunteer in: the playfully dubbed "shy cat room." I spent hours in that room, playing with the kitties. Some of them warmed up to me a bit, but the most beautiful of them, a Siberian named Alyssa, didn't. Every time she saw me come over to her side of the room, she'd hiss and spit, then turn tail and hide behind something. She was, however, quite friendly with a few of the calico and tuxedo cats. When her "best friend" decided he liked me and began sitting on my lap, she gradually got more and more used to me.

Around this time, I asked another volunteer what her story was.

Alyssa was found on a local college campus, abused very badly, as a one-year-old. A volunteer brought her to an emergency veterinary clinic and she was treated extensively. When she was healthy again, she was brought to the shelter. She was very skittish and defensive. She loved other cats: she was always rubbing against them and playing with them. However, she was, understandably, terrified of humans. She was put in the "shy cats room," where she quickly made friends.

As the weeks went on, she became increasingly comfortable with me. Of course, she was never quite friendly with me, but she let me pat her. None of the other volunteers could even touch her.

One day in late October, I decided to bring her home.
It was amazing: about two hours after I released her into my bedroom, Alyssa jumped up on the bed where I was quietly reading. Every night since then, she's slept on "her" pillow, right next to my head. For the past ten months or so, she follows me around whenever I'm home and she's awake: she's staring at me from her perch next to the computer right now.

Alyssa is my little miracle, and the proof that I must offer to prove that a cat that seems mean can be the sweetest kitty of them all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See the canyon broken by cloud
See the tuna fleet clearing the sea out
See the Bedouin fires at night
See the oil fields at first light
-Beautiful Day, U2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to faerymagic
Beautiful story
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Premier Cat

A very wonderful story. I love happy endings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Senior Cat

what a great story

Lauren&

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to SimplyTriss
That's a beautiful story. It seems Alyssa is happy living comfortably with you..

Note: The image of the cat isn't mines
"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats."
- English Proverb
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Premier Cat

Wonderful!! Good for you for sharing so much of yourself with the shy kitties.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Cat

Thank you for sharing! It sounds like Alyssa has finally had some good luck... She really deserved it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page