Racoon Attack? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Racoon Attack?

My wife noticed that Barney, one out of many cats, was not acting like his usual self. He has been meowing quite a bit lately.

A closer inspection and a call to the vet showed a problem with his back, so we rushed him to the local vet.

Doc says it looks like a massive racoon bite. Maybe he tried to share the same space with a racoon who usually hides under the shed.

Great. $50 later, we now have a happier cat.

Question I have is, what do I do about the racoon?
Should I try to run it off?
Seal off all hiding places to keep the racoon away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Cool Cat

Yes, you can seal off all the hiding places. Good luck, because raccoons are persistent. He's probably there because there is leftover cat food or something else enticing for him to eat.

Some people shoot them, but I could never do that. I've always trapped them with a live trap (Havahart is a good brand.). Good baits to put in the trap are fishy-flavored cat food, peanut butter, or anything sweet (they like cookies, donuts, sweetened cereal.). In your situation, though, I would avoid anything the cats like and stick with the sweet stuff.

Some people (I won't say who...... ) trap them and transport them (miles away) to get rid of them. Check with your state laws, though, because it may be illegal to relocate them. (It is in my state.) Call your local animal control officer. He may assist you with trapping or have a trap you could borrow.

In addition, make sure all the cats are current on their rabies vaccinations!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
"...Check with your state laws, though, because it may be illegal to relocate them. (It is in my state.) Call your local animal control officer. He may assist you with trapping or have a trap you could borrow.
Great suggestion. The local animal control officer will most likely know what to do and know what works.

Worst case, we can trap it and take it on a very long field trip. Then I can seal off the entrances. I really don't want to harm the animal.

Harry
Casper, WY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

...Of course, Barney 's not saying much.

I wonder what he did to the racoon?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Cat

barney vs. racoon

You were lucky and so was Barney---$50 is cheap for medical bills due to a wild animal mixing it up w/a domeestic-he is still alive, with no rabies, etc. I would urge you to become a parent of INDOOR cats---this is better for all concerned---and don't try to tell me it cannot be done---my tomcat who was a stray, was reformed-with consistency and dedication, you can save you and your babies alot of unnecessary risk.................
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Premier Cat

My Aunt in Canada lost her large kitty to a raccoon. They mixed it up under the house and her kitty died under there. Barney is pretty lucky to have escaped and been able to be treated by a vet.
How is he doing?
Heidi

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Jr. Cat

Where I live, the local shelters will loan you traps to traps strays and raccoons. Beware, raccoons are smart so it might not be so easy. Once you've caught the thing, if you're state allows it, the long field trip sounds good. Or you can call Animal Control to take it away for you. Good luck!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Barney is doing very well. We took him to our local country vet who is more concerned about animals than the almighty dollar.

The hair is growing back where it was shaved for treatment.

Thanks for the suggestions and concern.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Cat Addict

Just remember, that is the racoon's territory! They are meant to be outside in the wild! Not cats. Racoons are wild animals and they too need to eat and sleep. In my state, a trapper is required under law to kill a trapped racoon. Is that fair to that poor animal that because your cat is outside in the racoons territory that the racoon be killed? I am sorry for this rant, but I am a wildlife rehabber and work with racoons, squirrels, rabbits, skunks and other animals. The racoon's habitat is being destroyed by humans, so when they try to adapt and survive, along comes the same people and they destroy the racoon. Is that fair? Peple need to keep their DOMESTIC pets inside so the WILD ones can survive. I am sorry about your cat, I hope it is okay, but please don't hurt the racoon, it didn't do it on purpose, it is just trying to survive.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy96444
...The racoon's habitat is being destroyed by humans, so when they try to adapt and survive, along comes the same people and they destroy the racoon. Is that fair? Peple need to keep their DOMESTIC pets inside so the WILD ones can survive. I am sorry about your cat, I hope it is okay, but please don't hurt the racoon....
Hmmmmm...I got a feeling you wouldn't do too well out here in Wyoming.
We have racoons the size of grizzly bears and they roam in packs and raid refrigerators if you forget to lock your doors.

We are constantly training our cats in the latest self defense techniques plus they carry mace. We let them out to practice fighting the racoons. I guess Barny needs more training.

Our cats are not couch potatoes, we let them out. The Wyoming locals (animals) will just have to share. There's enough room out here for all of us.

Don't worry, the racoon is fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page