Scottie my lumberyard cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Scottie my lumberyard cat.

About three years ago I was sitting at my desk at the lumberyard where I worked when I heard a plaintive MEW! MEW! MEW! coming towards me. One of the yard workers had a cardboard box full of dirty rags and a tiny kitten. I ran out and got some KMR and fed him. I took off my sweater and he curled up in that and slept until the next time he was hungry and he came home with me that night.

We named the little kitten Scottie after James Doohan (Scottie from Star Trek) who had reciently passed away. He was a healty little kitty and grew fast.

Charllie became his best friend and "mothered" him

This picture won the Focus on Felines contest

He learned to be a big help on the computer

Now he is a healty 14 pound boy with a very unique personality. He can open doors and likes to drink directly from the faucet. He loves to "pick a fight". He jumps on my bed and waits until I rough him up. I run around the bed and he chases and attacks me. I push him over and try to grab him and he wraps his paws around me and bites. The whole time we are fighting like this he is purring like crazy. Even though he bites rather hard, he never puts his claws out. He likes to cuddle under the covers at night, but will not let anyone touch him for very long during the day. He is certainly king of his world.

Does anyone know if hand raised kittens often turn into biters?

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Tom Cat

No idea about the biting thing.

I can't believe how TINY he was and how large your hands were to him!! He grew into a lovely cat - as are all his other kitty friends!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Premier Cat

Hubby brought me Marmalade when he was younger/same age as when you got Scottie for me to bottle feed. He never became a 'biter', but he had an older, retired tomcat who took him under his wing and showed him how to be a kitty. Marmy seemed more attached to me than our other cats, who arrived as older kittens or cats. I assume it was due to the hand rearing bond.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Cat Addict

I'm currently raising a baby, and i have a cat who we got around 4-5 weeks. Both tend to nibble fingers although i'm thinking it's largely because when they're tiny it's so cute and it doesn't hurt. I'm currently teaching the kitten that people aren't for biting...she's right around 6 weeks old now, and she thinks i'm a big toy. It's totally my fault for encouraging it when she was a bit smaller. Oh well, she's a cutie!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
He never became a 'biter', but he had an older, retired tomcat who took him under his wing and showed him how to be a kitty. Marmy seemed more attached to me than our other cats, who arrived as older kittens or cats. I assume it was due to the hand rearing bond.
That's kind of what Charlie did for Scottie. He was always cleaning him. Scottie is very attached - I can't go anywhere that he is not close by trying to "help". He loves to get his nose into everything.

Sue

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

I love all your progression of pictures.
Enjoy your story of his beginnings.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Tom Cat

What a sweet and lovely story! I'm so glad to know that Scottie found a safe, loving home.

That picture of Scottie peering from the window screen... It's so beautiful, it could win an award. At the very least, it deserves a pretty frame and a nice place on a table or wall.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoBabe
That picture of Scottie peering from the window screen... It's so beautiful, it could win an award. At the very least, it deserves a pretty frame and a nice place on a table or wall.
I hadn't thought of framing it. Maybe one of those cat frames I have seen around... Probably would be better to put his mischevious mug on the wall. If it were on a table he would knock it flat in minutes!

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page