"The tv is talking to me???" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

"The tv is talking to me???"

Last night I was watching "Extreme Makeover HOme Edition" and my snuggle bunny Oscar was laying on his back in my lap enjoying a belly rub. Now Oscar is my dog-cat. Hes the only one that comes when you call him and he's always excited to see what you want. And on the show last night Oscar De Lay Hoya (spelled wrong, I'm sure- I'm not a boxing fan) was on the show and they repeatedly said "Oscar". Well as soon as they said that Oscar jumps up and starts looking around to see who's talking to him. They say it again and he jumps off my lap and chirps. Finally he realizes its coming from the TV and he gives me the stink eye and saunters off to the basement to do his business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Cat

Re: "The tv is talking to me???"

Hilarious.

Love to eat them mousies...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

wow, you are lucky your cat responds to the annunciation of his name.
I understand that reaction is more the exception not the rule with cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by petspy
wow, you are lucky your cat responds to the annunciation of his name.
I understand that reaction is more the exception not the rule with cats.
IMO, it is only cats whose owners do not spend time getting to know their cats who have cats that behave as cats are traditionally expected to.
All of my cats have learned their names. Currently 9 of my 10 because Floofy is still learning. Every cat in my past has known their name and comes when called, either as a group or individually by their specific name. I surprise many people with my 'dog like' cats. The people who are surprised are the ones who think all cats are aloof.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

Heidi - is it ever too late to start? my cats are 2.5yo from another home and caregiver.
is it possible with patience and consistency get some training into them, or are they just
inheriting whatever habits they learned from their previous keeper, and that's all I can get.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oscar is my ONLY cat that comes when you call him. Bert will look at you and vocalize, Ernie may just twitch an ear if you're lucky.

Oddly enough Bert and Ernie were both rescued as strays (although Bert was a kitten when I adopted him) and Oscar is the only one that was adopted from previous owners.

I also call Oscar my dog-cat because he plays fetch. All of my cats will chase something thats thrown- but Oscar is the only one that brings it back wagging his tail

Coincidence?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Premier Cat

It is never too late to start!
I'd say only 25% of our cats came to us as kittens, under 6mo old. The other 25% came to us between 6-18mo old. But, the majority (50%) of our cats have come to us as adults between the ages of 2 and 9 years old, and most of them feral. The 9yr old was a feral tomcat, btw. He turned out to be one of our coolest housecats, evah!

Say their name, look at their eyes and smile at them when/if they look at you when you say their name. When you speak with them, pet them, interact in any way, say their name or call them by name as much as you can. When they look at you when you say their name, praise them, and maybe walk over and love on them (pet, stroke, scrubble, scratch, rub...whatever they like) and/or give them a treat. Eventually, you can try calling them to you (by name) and when they come, give them a treat. Bribery, I know, but it works.

LuckyDuck will fetch a favorite stuffed mouse/mole toy for me to throw over and over down the hall or on the bed. He also wags his tail. His tail is always moving, it is only still when he sleeps. Shadow will also wag her tail back/forth when you pet or scrubble her. Usually a waving (wagging side-to-side) tail on a cat means they are angry or aggresive. Some cats are just special and they do it when they feel good.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I adopted Cinderella when she was almost 4. I've never ever called her that (she came from a bad situation and I imagined that it was only yelled at her). She knows her name is "Baby" - which happened by accident. I just started saying "baby" when I spoke to her, and that's what she responds to now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 AM
Cool Cat

I think Oscar sounds like a very clever cat. It shows its not just the tone of your voice he responds to. He must actually know the name Oscar whatever tone of voice its said in.
All our cats have known their names, but I cant imagine any of them responding to it being said by someone on telly.

seashell
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell
I think Oscar sounds like a very clever cat. It shows its not just the tone of your voice he responds to. He must actually know the name Oscar whatever tone of voice its said in.
All our cats have known their names, but I cant imagine any of them responding to it being said by someone on telly.

seashell

THanks He is probably the smartest of my three, and he's got the best freakin personality I just squish his little pouffy face every day. He responds to everybody that calls his name- whether is the first or fiftieth time he's met them. LOVE HIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page