Ditch the wisdom teeth = acquire two cats! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ditch the wisdom teeth = acquire two cats!

I was allergic to cats for years, and thought I'd never own anything besides fish. (I'm gone too much to have a dog.) But back in October I got my wisdom teeth pulled, and later that week I ended up at my shelter mom's house to meet Fern and Fergie. Previously, I would have been miserable within ten minutes, since there were 35 cats in that house and it never took much to set off an allergic reaction. An hour and a half later, I left with just sniffles, and a heavy dose of amazement. We tried a second visit a week later, with the same result, and I also made sure to rub my eyes, stick my nose in their fur, get scratched, and do everything that had always caused a reaction before. Somehow, getting my wisdom teeth pulled cured my cat allergy! So we got our house set up for kitties, and a week later the girls came to us for a trial fostering before we committed to adoption. We took it slow, and didn't allow them in our bedroom for a while, and over the course of the next two weeks I went from slight sniffles to no reaction at all. After about a month we officially adopted them, and I still marvel when I think about how miserable cats used to make me, and how I now have two running around my home. It's been about four months now, and they sleep with us most nights and I have no allergy issues. While they do seem to be low on the allergen scale, based on the slight reactions of guests with allergies, it's not just them. I used to have a horrible reaction to my brother's two cats, and couldn't visit without taking allergy medication first. Now I can go over there and play with his cats for hours with no problems!

I did talk to the oral surgeon who pulled my teeth about this - he said that there can certainly be physiological changes in the body after a traumatic experience, but he's never heard of this particular scenario! But who cares! Now I have two beautiful kitties who I love so much!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Ditch the wisdom teeth = acquire two cats!

Wow! Best recommendation for having teeth pulled that I've ever heard!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Cat Addict

Maybe it is not just the teeth. I have heard the physiology of your body completely changes every seven years. When I was a kid I had hay fever so severe I could hardly function between August 15th and the first frost. Now it is all gone.
Anyway, fantastic that you are no longer allergic to cats!!!

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Cool Cat

I wonder why the teeth pulling had that effect? It's great news for you Allergies must be miserable, especially when they prevent you from getting to know our furry friends.

seashell
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Maybe it is not just the teeth. I have heard the physiology of your body completely changes every seven years. When I was a kid I had hay fever so severe I could hardly function between August 15th and the first frost. Now it is all gone.
Anyway, fantastic that you are no longer allergic to cats!!!
It's interesting that you mention that, because I went from non-allergic to very allergic when I was in college, although we're talking about nine years ago that the change happened. And this time it was practically overnight - I was at my brother's house a couple weeks before getting my teeth pulled, and still very allergic. Then three days post-pull, I meet 35 cats and no problems!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page