Share your stories about how you picked out/found your pet! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to CatDrool1324
Share your stories about how you picked out/found your pet!

How about some stories about how you picked out your cats (or any other pets)? Mine really excites me to think about so I thought that it would be nice to share it with you, and to get the privilege of hearing some other unique and bizzar stories as well.
My mother and I went out one Wednesday night for our usual date night, and I suggested that after dinner we go to Petland and gawk at the kittens. She couldn't have agreed more, as she is also a cat-loverx10000000. We scarfed down our dinner, then drove like a maniac on steroids to the nearest Petland (we didn't speed though, we just felt like we were due the the adrenaline). As soon as my mom laid eyes on the skinny kitten sharing a cage with two bigger cats who were stealing his food, she just wanted to hold him. He was massaging the other cats and laying down on them and trying to play with them and they would just ignore him. It is a very interesting concept--that a living thing could forgive the very beings that were being so rude to him and stealing his food and ignoring him. It was that kitten who taught me the lesson of forgiveness. And I didn't want to pester my mom, because that would just make her not want to take the kitten home. She was already falling in that direction anyways. I just nudged her in the right direction.
That kitten's first name was Jinx, then Yoyo, and it still is Yoyo. He is now almost one and a half!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Cat

Re: Share your stories about how you picked out/found your pet!

thats a great story...i got a good visual of the tiny kitten having his lunch stolen in the cafeteria by the bullies...and the kitten still trying to be thier freinds becuase he thinks they are sooo cool.

unfortunatly...not really interesting how i got my pets. Our first Kitten, Allie, we got at an animal shelter. I was looking for a silver cat to name Mr Higgins, there wasnt one there. then i saw a really cute bright orange tabby boy, i pulled him out to play with him, and he started to SCREAM at me!......i put him back real quick! he shut up when i put him back in the cage with the little calico girl that was passed out. I was watching him climb all over her, paws on her head, chewing on her ears, and she just stayed asleep...so my wife told me to grab her. I pulled her out and she was still mostly asleep just hanging limp in my hands, and she had a dried blob of neon pink paint on her for head, to mark her for some reason or other. eyes droopy, and looked back and for quietly meowing at us..to me it sounded like ..."huh...what? where am I? oh...im sleepy, what do you guys want?" she was adorable, and no one has "laid claim" to her like they had on 90% of the other kittens, so we took her. thought she was going to be a lazy relaxed cat, based on first impressions. yeah....NOT SO. she is INSANE, and MOODY!!! but she is still sweet and lovable.

we got a russian blue we named Mr Higgins last friday...even more boring story. i just kept googling for "russian blue kitten" until i found someone who was fostering one for the local non-profit organization. they had him listed on craigslist with his 2 sisters...

i know there are some more interesting stories our there....where are they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Cool Cat

Both interesting stories! Your story isn't boring, Dustin

We didn't choose our Tiddlers - they chose us! About 6 months before our poor Jimmy died the Tiddlers moved into a flat below us with their (human) mother. As soon as they realised that the big scary ginger cat wasn't around any more they couldn't wait to start exploring and hanging about outside our door, wondering what lay within. So of course we couldn't resist letting them in.

One thing led to another and they visited more and more frequently. Then we made the 'mistake' of supplying them with little snacks and we couldn't get rid of them. Their human mother was quite a flighty young thing and often seemed to stay out all night without warning, so the Tiddlers got to staying with us overnight from time to time.

Then their human mother had a real human baby (possibly as a result of one of the overnight expacapades ). Now we can't get rid of the Tiddlers - they are with us virtually all the time. They pay her a visit now and then and stay with her when we're on holiday, but mostly they act as if they live with us. I think they regard the block of flats as just one big home for them and they just go wherever they want

seashell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to CatDrool1324

Great stories! Kepp em coming!
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Jr. Cat

I like your stories. I have a few cat so i have a few stories too

My moms cat that passed a few months back was just a baby when we got her. A stray cat had kittens in our garage and we had gone to see them and i think we scared her away cause she decided to move her kittens. We watch them and after she was done we went back out there and she had left one so we left it alone for the rest of the day and when it started to get night she hadnt come back for it. So we gave it to our mom for mothers day. Even though she told us no more pets She was really a baby, not walking or anything and my mom bottle fed her and everything. She has her first steps on video tap, not her human kids though lol. She lived to be 15 years old.

My two bigger babies my little brother and me "found" outside. Our neighbors girlfriend brought them from somewhere and had let them run around her yard while she went inside. They were young maybe 4 months old i suspect. Me and my brother caught them and took them over to our house and were playing with them and we asked our mom if we could have them, or maybe we asked the lady if we could have them first, i cant remember. But me and my brother build them a little house on our front porch and started feeding them. Mine was the girl Kilala and his was the boy Tigar. Kilala lived outside until she had kittens and i brought her in and she stayed in.( thats how i got the other two cats ) And Tigar recently came in because he had his eye removed and i felt he wouldn't be as safe outside anymore. I like them being inside i don't have to worry about them as much. They are five now.

Those are the only cat story i have that are interesting and that i can remember. Hope you liked them.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Jr. Cat

I love the story about how I got my first cat (passed away now, but we had 13 great years with her!):

When I was a junior in high school 13 years ago, an announcement was made that whom ever had brought, and then left, the kitten at last nights soccer game please come claim her. Obviously no one had brought a kitten to a HS soccer game, so there came a following announcement would anyone interested in taking in the kitten left at the soccer game (and had parent's permission) leave their name with the office.

I got my mother's permission to put my name "at the bottom of the list." She had many cats over the years, but not since the oldest one died when I was 5 (this was 11 years later) and didn't really want to take care off/clean up after one. But we have always LOVED cats, so she made that compromise. I went to the office and did exactly that, put my name on the Bottom of the list.

At the end of the day I got called to the office to take home the kitten (only it was an 6-8 month old cat!). It turned out that while I was at my locker and getting to the after school waiting room, my friends (who had pets and new I needed/wanted a cat) stood at the office door and told every one who came to inquire that I was already taking her! My mom still thanks them to this day

She was a very girly cat. I almost called her Precious, but went to see Beauty and Beast on stage the weekend after getting her. I always loved the flirty romance of Lumiere and the feather duster - who in the play has a name - Babette. She was a lovely and unique girl who gave us alot of love while she was around.

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Tom Cat

Pepper and Ginger's stories are the most unique here.

I used to work with at risk youth, one of my youth loved cats so we had a lot in common. She fed a lot of strays at her bus stop in the AMs and also in late March told me about a pregnant female she had been feeding at her house. She told me about how the female was really sweet, would let them handle her etc but the babies were moving and she was due soon. Knowing the neighborhood I felt a tug to let this momma have her babies somewhere safe. I asked hubby if I could bring her home and let her give birth here in safety--he said she could come here, but not inside. It seemed like in an instant I had a big dog cage borrowed from someone and I was prepared to house this cat. I told the girl I would come pick up this cat if they could hold on to her for me--her older sister said she would just carry her to me at work--about 6 blocks distance.

On April 2 I brought the cat home, the babies were active in her belly. I took her to the vet about 3-4 days later so make sure she was flea free and FIV/FeLV negative which she was. The vet said she'd have the babies in the next week. I waited 18 days total for five beautiful healthy kittens. Four females and one male, a cream, a blue and white, a torbie, a tortie and a black and white. Momma Ginger was a great momma and she raised her babies in the cage on our front porch. At 8 weeks I found them homes, one in our home, Pepper. And when nobody would take Ginger, we decided to keep her here with us.

Its been 16 weeks since Ginger gave birth almost 19 weeks since Ginger came into our lives. I know that there are multiple reasons I have Ginger and Pepper. I no longer work at that job with those youth, but my heart will forever be with them. Each time I see Ginger I know that I have a little piece of those kids right here with me. And Pepper is a constant reminder that Ginger will never mother another litter and that I did what I set out to do, keep Ginger and her babies from adding to the pet overpopulation. Pepper is also named in memory of a beloved turtle we had put to sleep just a few weeks after the kittens were born.

Leslie
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&Harley
Pepper and Ginger's stories are the most unique here
Leslie

awww that is a really sweet story!

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Premier Cat

I have *never* got to choose my own cat. They have all chosen me.

The cats of our 16yr marriage (1993-current):
Inky was brought home from my husband's work when he found him sick and huddled on the downwind and sunny side of a car tire, trying to absorb some heat from the sun and engine warmth.
The Trio: Mister, Silver and Toby, were found/rescued among the dairy outbuildings of the farm we rented our house on. They were about 6-7wks old.
The Wanderer was, as his name indicates, a travelling tomcat who I tamed/socialized in the barn. We returned from a vacation to find him with a broken leg so he was taken in for a cast and The Snip. He became my husband's cat, following him around the house and laying on his feet.
Bonnie was another rescue kitten from my husband's work.
Oscar and Blaze both wandered up to our house after The Wanderer became an indoor cat. Oscar had to remain an outdoor cat because he would *not* adjust to living with other cats indoors.
Marmalade was another orphaned rescue from my husband's work. Marmy came to me blue wih lack of oxygenation, his body shutting down. I remember the frantic drive to the vet, constantly checking to see if he was still breathing. Vets were able to give him fluids and revive him. I bottle fed him for 7 weeks. He was my first bottle-fed cat.
Reilly kept running into the home we rented in Washington State and was so persistent. Another lady asked if he was ours, because he was getting into her trash and she was going to take him to the pound. Instead, we took him to get neutered and my husband took him to work to be the office cat. The first week he stayed at work, but came home with my husband on Friday night. I freaked, but luckily the home-cats never did. They accepted Rei as if he had *always* been part of the family. From that weekend on, Rei drove back/forth to work with the husband every day. Eventually Rei couldn't stay at his work (other contractors) and Rei became a permanant addtion to our home family.
I saw BooBoo get hit by a car in front of our house and run off. I searched unsuccessfully for him and everyone I spoke to knew nothing about the classic orange cat. Two weeks later, he was sitting on our front patio table and I put him inside the house. Instant housecat.
Squirrely-Jo was found abandoned at a stopsign with her two siblings when they were about 5-6 weeks old.
Shasta was found in our garage at about 7-8wks old.
Malibu was my first TNR, and I trapped and raised her litter to be adopted through the center that helped me get Mallie spayed.
Shadow showed up pregnant so I brought her in to give birth and eventually had her spayed and her litter was also adopted out.
Pretty was another TNR, and my most challenging tame/socialization project, to date. Her litter was also trapped and tamed/socialized for adoption.
Dusty was the sire of Pretty's litter and he was also socialized for neutering.
LuckyDuck (Louie) was found by my husband at his work with a terribly infected abcess; the abcess was the size of a tennis ball. He brought him to me and I took him right to the vet. Poor Louie looked like Franken-kitty for a while, he had 8" of stitches in a "Y" shape under his throat.
Rusty was a cat who I found collapsed on our back patio and I tried to save him, but after 6wks of great food/care, he was still losing weight so I helped him over The Bridge.
Floofy was abandoned and sort of hung around a neighbor's house. He sort of 'attached himself' to me when I went over to speak with them one night. They didn't want him so I brought him home.

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Cat

Heidi..........you are FELINE SAVIOUR to the bone! bless you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page