This is my person to hate! Stay away! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

This is my person to hate! Stay away!

So my cat charlee is well, satan, no other way around it. Althought she has resuced at 3 weeks, bottled fed, and cared for she hates everyone. Growls, and hisses at everyone but those in my family.

So my friend comes over, and is sitting on my couch for a good hour and all of the sudden Charlee runs up gets nose to nose with her, then settles down in her lab and starts growling. Never bites, never tries to attack, just sat on her lap for the next hour and growled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

Re: This is my person to hate! Stay away!

Poor Charlee, taken from momcat and litter mates at 3 weeks of age, never learned any socialization skills from momcat or bite inhibition from littermates. It's crucial to kitties' upbringing that they stay with the momcat and litter mates until at least 11 weeks old. That's when they learn how to interact with other animals, with people, kids, and how to control their bite and claws. Charlee is not "satan", she's acting the only way she knows and no one has taught her differently. It's difficult to undo her lack of social skills, but most cats are pretty food motivated and you can start by giving her treats for good behaviour and pets too when she's nice nice. If she's growling on your lap just say a firm "no", pick her up and put her down on floor and ignore her. Hopefully she'll learn to be nicer. Teach her to come on command, by saying her name and then "come" and give her a treat. If she is purring and being sweet do tell her she's a "good girl" and really give her affection---cheek or chin rubs or whatever she really likes---doesn't always have to be a treat. Always reward any good behavior and ignore and verbally reprimand bad.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Cool Cat

My first kitten was not as unfriendly, but she definitely tried to use her teeth & claws to communicate. If she wanted to play she would attack you (like the halloween cats with the arched back & poofed tail), if she wanted down she would bite you, if you sprayed her with water for being naughty she would attack over & over---I started too look like I had some serious cutting issues!! I got her at 6 weeks & like catloverami said, she was not "socialized." My flatmate & I saw an almost immediate change in Pumpkin (the kitten) when we cat-sat a friend's adult male cat. She regressed some a few weeks after the male left, but she has been a sweetheart ever since we adopted another male kitten about a month ago.

Last edited by swimkris; 07-20-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page