Are we too caring? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Are we too caring?

Ok strange question, But do we put ourselves out too much for the sake of our cats comfort?

The reason I ask is I just purchased a La-Z-Boy electric recliner for 600 (around $1000 USD) and as soon as Gizmo saw it he gave me his "no stupid human - tis mine now" look and promptly jumped in and curled up.

I didn't have the heart to turf him out (while he recovering) but it just got me to wondering about all of the times I have sacrificed my own comfort for his benefit.

I've lost count of the amount of times I have gone to bed only to find him stretched out right across the middle and I have had to slide my self in down the side of him so as not to disturb him.

Should I be asserting my dominance more (serious question), Is it just me being to soft or is it a common issue for other cat owners also?

Or has Gizmo just acquired a very expensive cat bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0039.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	45306  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Senior Cat

I don't know what we *should* be doing, but I can tell you I'm the same. If she's snoozing on my lap I don't get up, if she's in the middle of the bed I'm in a tiny corner on the side, if she kneads on a full bladder I stick it out, etc. Heck I even got over my aversion of handling raw meat, so madam has the best food. I'm totally whipped.

Sent from Petguide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

LMBO!!! That's hilarious! But I do understand d your position. If you want to sit in that spot, you are going to have to take a deep breath and tell Gizmo to move.
I have to do it to B.B., but this scenario has happened so often between her and I over the years, all I have to do is say, "C'mon, Beebz, get up" and stand over her while I am saying it. She will jump down, without a gripe. She USE to gripe, big time! I would be fussed out, even swatted at, but I had to stand my ground, and it paid off.
Now, she jumps off my chair, and after I settle in, she'll jump up on the foot/leg rest and curl up between my calfs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMB View Post
Ok strange question, But do we put ourselves out too much for the sake of our cats comfort?

The reason I ask is I just purchased a La-Z-Boy electric recliner for 600 (around $1000 USD) and as soon as Gizmo saw it he gave me his "no stupid human - tis mine now" look and promptly jumped in and curled up.

I didn't have the heart to turf him out (while he recovering) but it just got me to wondering about all of the times I have sacrificed my own comfort for his benefit.

I've lost count of the amount of times I have gone to bed only to find him stretched out right across the middle and I have had to slide my self in down the side of him so as not to disturb him.
TBH I feel like if you have an animal that's ill or hurt it's fair to be more gentle with them and give them a bit of extra special things. For example, when Jitzu feels really really crappy she gets things like lightly cooked salmon for dinner. *shrugs* She also gets her favorite spot of the couch (read: my spot).

When my pets are perfectly healthy I have set boundaries, if I want to sit in my spot they have to move...but they can come sit on me instead. That being said, if I'm just going to sit for a second I'll sit in another spot rather than disturb sleeping kitties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMB View Post
Should I be asserting my dominance more (serious question), Is it just me being to soft or is it a common issue for other cat owners also?
Dominance in cats (and most animals) doesn't work ANYTHING like what we think it does. If you'd like do an internet search for 'dominance myth' and you'll find a wealth of articles by many many people (many of whom are certified behaviorists (PhD), or vets, behavioral vets, ect) who have actually done research into how hierarchies work in different species.

Bottom line? You aren't a cat, and your cat knows that. Don't try to pretend you're a cat.

IMO it's VERY hard to be 'too soft'. Unless your cat is literally making you bleed on a regular basis (without you provoking them either on purpose or by accident) it's not even a problem.

So, in short, my answer is: You're doing just fine. Continue happily pampering your kitty...but move him if you really want the new seat
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

I do the same thing. It does not bother me. They give me so much happiness that I don't begrudge them when they snooze on my chair. Of course my husband thinks I am silly by giving up my seat but I don't care.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Kitten

I'm exactly the same
Especially at night - my cat is huge and he's a total bed hog

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Cool Cat

oh, you are definitely not alone, DaveMB! all my catloving friends know that our cats rule. it's what being a cat slave is all about. if the cat is on your lap and you live with another human, the other human should know that you are trapped for a good 4 hours at least. that other human should be running your errands, getting you food and drink, bringing you the remote, etc...it's only when you just HAVE to get up to go to the bathroom that you can get up yourself.

i have suffered many a cramp in my arm in the middle of the night because angel has decided to use it as a pillow and i can't possibly disturb her slumber by moving it! the list of my sacrifices is endless...

i know all about losing a new recliner to a cat, too!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Tom Cat

I'm the same lol. I go to great lengths to not disturb Yuki if she's comfy or sleeping. I think this is pretty accurate!:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1390857464.293461.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	45330

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki'sMum View Post
I'm the same lol. I go to great lengths to not disturb Yuki if she's comfy or sleeping. I think this is pretty accurate!:

Attachment 45330

yeah, that looks about right.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Premier Cat

I will admit that I'm completely unfair. If MowMow is in my spot (on bed or couch) I'll work around him. If Book is there, he gets moved. THe main reason (I will admit, not the ONLY reason) is that Book deals with it better. I'll shove him over and he just goes limp and settled where I move him too. MowMow gets all pissy and huffy and stalks off if I move him.

If someone is sick, they get the full treatment (both cats). The best spot, the softest blanket, the better food, and everyone else has to be quiet around them. No one is allowed to bug them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page