I'm a softy for cats. We have 4 of them now. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm a softy for cats. We have 4 of them now.

Sorry for the long story. We have 16 y/o Sasha, who pretty much sleeps upstairs all day and only comes down for feeding and a couple of hours of affection. We also have 8 y/o Milo who sleeps all day but would prefer to sleep with us. He is a love bug who purrs really loud and snores.

We wanted to get Milo a buddy since Sasha is so old and could care less, and there was a kitten raised out in our courtyard whose mother left him to fend for himself. He stared in our glass door last fall and we fed him, but we finally decided to let him in right before an ice storm in November. (We named him Starvin' Marvin.) Marvin made himself at home, used the litter box and loved sleeping next to Milo. However, he would hiss at us and never let us touch him. After 1 1/2 months we let him go back outside because we had tried every way possible to connect with him and it didn't work. He disappeared for a couple of days but must have decided he liked it better indoors. He was soon back and staring in the window every day.

However, we really wanted a non-feral cat, so we found a 5 month-old kitten, Toby, who had been sent to two shelters. He is a doll, although he follows us everywhere, cries a lot and is into everything.

Yesterday it snowed outside, and Marvin walked up to the door with snow on him looking so miserable so I let him back in. He seems to have mellowed as the months have passed as he lets me get a lot closer even though I can't touch him.

The dynamic between the 3 boys is so great that I'm going to be more patient this time and let Marvin come around so we can take him to the vet and make him an official "inside cat". He sleeps right next to Milo and plays with Toby until they're exhausted, so everyone is happy.

The most we've had is 3 cats at one time and that was a lot, so I can't believe we've ended up with 4, but it just feels right. I know our 16 y/o is on the "down slope", the boy cats love each other and there was absolutely no issue with socializing them. Now, I just need to find a way to catch Marvin so we can get him neutered and vaccinated.

Are we crazy to have 4 cats?

Our boy, Toby

Milo, Sasha and Misha, we miss you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Cat Addict

No...

I am glad it all worked out eventually, especially for Marvin. Getting all your males fixed will enhance the chances of a long, happy co-existence. Borrow a humane trap for Marvin and confine him to one room. Set up an appointment at the vet. It's a pretty good bet you'll catch him quickly.

I had a former feral living with me for two years and I still couldn't handle him in order to put him in a carrier, even though he was sweet and loved to be petted. I used a humane trap when I moved.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Premier Cat

No, not crazy to have 4!! 20 maybe, but not 4. I have 5 indoor cats. Two that are mildly aloof and independent but affectionate at times (Jack and Maddie). Another 2 that are regular snuggly lap cats (Lacey and Coco) and one is like your Sasha (my avatar in younger days - Missy). I like this number of cats and the different personalities. Having 5 lap cats would be too much and not having any would be awful!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Cat Addict

It's crazy if your landlord allows only 1 cat. And even then, I've done it when it was necessary to save a cat.

Thank you for being patient with Marvin. From my experience with strays, the only disadvantage they have is they need lots of patience. The rest is all advantages. Nikita, whom I adopted as a very friendly stray, only yesterday let me pick her up, after 3.5 years!

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

You're only crazy if you have 10 cats and 2 dogs.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
You're only crazy if you have 10 cats and 2 dogs.
ROFLMAO!! You might be right Marie!! :p:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
you're only crazy if you have 10 cats and 2 dogs.
rofl!!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Senior Cat

LOLOLOLz

but no, not crazy at all. We have four - and that is my limit. But we enjoy all of them even if we have to 'keep the peace' a bit as Mme Coco can be a grumpy toad with Wee Lisbeth :/

Jen - owned by ...

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page