How do you spoil YOUR cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

How do you spoil YOUR cat?

Title says it all.

As an example, I have a cat, who does drink out of a water bowl, but still demands that we turn on the tap on a specific sink in a specific bathroom for him to drink. Its not good enough that we leave the sink full of water; no, he will only drink while the water is running, and will cry incessantly until someone turns it on. Aside from the problem of wasting water, he will also not allow me to leave. If I'm not watching him while he drinks, he will stop drinking and follow me, forcing me to come back and turn off the water.

What unreasonable things do YOUR cats demand from you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

This sounds like my Missy and Coco!!! Fortunately I can leave while they drink and I have 5 of the quietest cats on earth! Hardly anyone makes a sound except a quiet trill now and then. The other day I left the water on to dribble for over 8 hours - totally forgot about it. Ugh, my water bill is going to take the hit!!

As far as spoiling them - I exist therefore they are spoiled.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Cat Addict

Oh sheesh, how do I spoil my cats...
They dictate to me if they are going to take their meal in the kitchen or the dinning room.
They get to choose between two flavours of food everyday. They actually pick out the one they want for that meal.
They get a "treat tray' (a sampling of various little treats) each night.
They have posh sleeping spots.
Heating pad, set on low, 24/7 (for my lil Sadie Woo but the others have a go when she's not there)
A constant supply of kitty grass to munch on before meals just like they like.
They each get little massages at least 2 x a week.
They get "cat nip" parties about once per month.

I think I'll stop there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
Title says it all.

As an example, I have a cat, who does drink out of a water bowl, but still demands that we turn on the tap on a specific sink in a specific bathroom for him to drink. Its not good enough that we leave the sink full of water; no, he will only drink
I'll see you running to the bathroom to turn on the sink and raise you my ghetto water fountain for MowMow. He's the same way so I pulled the plug out of the sink drain (so it can't be filled) and put a small ramekin in the sink with the water on a fast drip. The water overflows the ramekin and runs down the drain. (wasteful, yes I know but if it keeps him drinking and no more blockages I'll lesson my footprint elsewhere to make up for it).

Let's see what else.... the backaches I wake up with almost everymorning because I have to contort myself around two cats at night. I'll also get out of the far side of the bed so that I don't disturb either boy.

They each have 'their' spot on the sofa so I keep their favorite blankets on those spots and I sit in the saggy middle of the sofa.

They always eat their meals before I get mine.

If someone sees a bug above reaching level I'm immediately summoned to lift them to the proper height to investigate. This occasionally calls for me to pull out the step stool to reach adequate height.

I eat nothing without letting them investigate first. If they aren't interested I'm free to continue with my meals, if they are then I'm required to share small bits.

and lastly (I'm sure there's more)... I have no nice things.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I eat nothing without letting them investigate first. If they aren't interested I'm free to continue with my meals, if they are then I'm required to share small bits.
Ha ha so true, Gizmo actually sneaked up on me yesterday and stole a whole boiled egg off my plate, Of course he didn't eat it (neither did I after he'd had his grubby claws in it lol).

I have to be careful if I have things like ham or cheese on my plate or he will either steal them or sit there crying till I i give him some.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I'll see you running to the bathroom to turn on the sink and raise you my ghetto water fountain for MowMow. He's the same way so I pulled the plug out of the sink drain (so it can't be filled) and put a small ramekin in the sink with the water on a fast drip. The water overflows the ramekin and runs down the drain. (wasteful, yes I know but if it keeps him drinking and no more blockages I'll lesson my footprint elsewhere to make up for it).
He HAS a regular water fountain, you know one of those ones that use the same water but keep it flowing all the time? When he insists on drinking from the sink, I get the impression that it's more the fact that "I'm there" that he asks me to turn on the tap out of habit.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMB View Post
Ha ha so true, Gizmo actually sneaked up on me yesterday and stole a whole boiled egg off my plate, Of course he didn't eat it (neither did I after he'd had his grubby claws in it lol).

I have to be careful if I have things like ham or cheese on my plate or he will either steal them or sit there crying till I i give him some.
My boy likes to investigate my food as well...but he NEVER eats it when I try to give him a little piece. Even if it's meat. He'll push it around a bit but then his sister will come and chow down. She eats anything I give her, but is never pushy when I'm eating. Jack, on the other hand, will shove his little nose into everything. I feel like I'm constantly moving my food around to avoid him.

As far as spoiling goes, I actually feel like I lucked out here. Both my cats are very easy-going, and Jack in particular becomes "flop-cat" when he's tired/sleeping so I can move him around any way I want and he'll just snuggle in. I do indulge Rosie in a lot of her "fling the hair-tie" game where I have to get up a lot to get the hair-tie she dropped just out of reach, but since playing with your cat is part of ownership I don't really consider it spoiling her.

I do buy a lot of toys that end up not being used, so I guess that counts as spoiling!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Cat

Inky walks up on my chest at night and wants me to pet him. It can be anywhere from 11:30 PM to 5:00 AM. Sometimes it's more than once during the night. Some nights I'm really tired and it feels like I'm petting him forever. A lot of times he doesn't do it at all. If I'm not laying on my back he'll bat at my leg with his paw until I roll over.

Sometimes when I'm in the basement getting stuff ready to pack and ship Patches jumps on the table. Sometimes he'll stand on the computer keyboard. Or he'll climb up on me and want me to hold and pet him for awhile. So when he does that I drop everything and do that. He also likes to chew on my packing tape. If I pick it up and move it he'll go there and start chewing again. So I'll have to put it somewhere he can't get to it.

When I'm in the bathroom Inky will jump up on the sink and want me to let some water drip. If I'm upstairs during the night I'll plug the sink and fill it with water. He usually sits in front of the sink and waits for me to put him up there. If he goes out of the bathroom a few feet it means he wants me to carry him into the bedroom. So when I get there I'll plop him on the bed near my wife's feet. He'll wait for me to get covered up before he walks up on me.

Inky jumps up on the sink and wants to be groomed when my wife is in the bathroom getting ready. She turns on the faucet and lets water drip so he can drink when he's being groomed. Once she stopped combing him when he was drinking so he stopped, turned around, and meowed at her to keep combing him.

Patches will jump up on the sink and want to be petted when she's in the bathroom getting ready in the morning. When she gets out of the shower he meows at her because he wants to be wrapped up in her shower tower. He doesn't care about my shower towel because I'm not his primary human.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Cat

Ohh my. Here goes.

For Coca - she needs her "medication" in the morning along with the dogs. Every morning she gets temptations treats while I give my dogs their pills.
She requires 5 minutes of undisturbed patrol time around the house before the dogs are let out. She will jump up on the chair next to you and give you the stinkiest stink eye ever if you don't move the plate towards her so she can pick her own little piece to check out.

Whisper is the most laid back cat I have seen. He goes with the flow but in the run of the day he says he needs to be brushed 2 a day and given at least an hours worth of snuggles.

Gizmo is the queen. Anytime I come home I need to follow her highness around the island for 2 laps asking her to spare my head for leaving her, she then puts me out of my misery and let's me pick her up for kisses and only then may I go bring in the rest of the groceries. If I dare having her wait, there will be h**l to pay for everyone in this house for at least an hour!

It doesn't matter where in the house she is or what she is doing - if I need to spend more than a second behind closed doors anywhere - she needs to be picked up and carried there with me. If not she is relentless at the door and mad as heck at me for trying to sneak behind her back.
She doesn't drink from water bowls, she needs glasses tucked away everywhere!
She needs to play a game of "you better not step on me while I try to be in your way" every night! As soon as the dogs are put to bed, it starts. And while she follows me I need to be careful and NOT look her in the eye! If I do that she will give me her cutest little mix of a meowing/purring while inhaling and I will have to scoop her up immediately for snuggles and belly rubs.

Finally make it to bed and I will have to lift the sheets for her to look under, wait for her to find her spot and then I may continue and actually get in.

There is way more but these are kind of the ones that stand out every day.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Cat Addict

I remain silent and even content during the 4 a.m. singing tribute from Penny and Nala's 5 a.m. springboard activities off my chest and other more sensitive places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page