Bobby, formerly stray, now family, funny story - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Bobby, formerly stray, now family, funny story

Cats begging to be let outside and then inside, an eternal dance...

Here's my girlfriend w. Bobby at New Years. Bobby adopted us not long ago and he's now a mostly indoor kitty (his neutering will be in a couple weeks) but he comically objects to being inside at the most inopportune times.

All day today (in Houston), it's been cool but okay outside, and my gf offered Bobby a chance to go out and play for a while. Instead he snoozed all day and when given the chance to go out, just turned up his nose and sniffed.

Naturally, toward evening, we started to receive a new cold front, the temp dipped quickly, with continual drizzle and chilly winds, headed to about 36F tonight, with sleet forecast. (yeah, even Houston has its share of chilly evenings) And just as the rain set in, guess who wanted to go out? Yep. Bobby.

His way of asking is to stand on his hind legs on a table near the window and repeatedly scratch at the window (not a lot of progress on the glass, however, ha ha). When my gf ignored him, and she was lying on the sofa watching the news, Bobby resorted to his final tactic: he gets on the sofa arm above her and bats at the top of her head (no claws out, though), and he will then scoot to the front door and stand there (you know how cats can stand, stiff and demanding, when they want something), and then if ignored, Bobby jumps back on the sofa and starts batting my gf on the head again!

Naturally she's more amused than annoyed by this, and reaches up and pulls Bobby into her arms to cuddle him. And like all cats, he gets indignant that his requests are being ignored.

I know that after he's fixed his wanderlust will be less, but we're also training him to be a more indoor cat anyway, and more diurnal than nocturnal, as indoor cats usually become.

Still, it's funny, his head-batting of my girlfriend and his pawing at the window glass.

And no, despite his demands, nobody's going out tonight, it's raining steadily now and the temp is quickly dropping. Indoor and TV for everyone, humans and cats alike! ha ha

So... aside from the routine of standing by the door and mewing loudly, what unique ways do your cats demand to be let outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Tom Cat

funny....smart cat too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Cat Addict

Aww, he's a cutie.

I don't let my cats out. I recently brought in a stray/feral from outside and he hasn't been out since I brought him in. You just have to ignore they crying (and climbing up the blinds, etc.). If you can ignore that, he'll eventually stop trying and be an inside kittty. It's just a battle of wills!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 AM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to bobbycos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat'sHouse View Post
funny....smart cat too.
watch out if he learns which button on the remote turns off the tv
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

You're right, emily, we can't give in to his demands. My girlfriend has now started breaking him of that incessant window-scratching with a small squirt of water, the perfect way to discipline and train your cat -- no pain, no mess, no swatting, just a little swizzle of water.

Of course, the right way is to first say "NO!" firmly and then hit him with the squirter (a cheap plant spray bottle). Very quickly, he will learn that if he continues his behavior after hearing No! he'll get squirted. Always works, nobody gets hurt.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Cat Addict

Awww sweet Bobby! My Nikita stands at the door and if her yelling to be let out is ignored, she starts strongly batting the key-chain hanging from the keyhole. She figures if I open the door that way, she may succeed too. LOL

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdad View Post
Naturally, toward evening, we started to receive a new cold front, the temp dipped quickly, with continual drizzle and chilly winds, headed to about 36F tonight, with sleet forecast. (yeah, even Houston has its share of chilly evenings) And just as the rain set in, guess who wanted to go out? Yep. Bobby.
This is because toward evening is the cat's natural hunting time so it made perfect sense to him. I think it's hard with indoor/outdoor cats because, as Emilyatl says if they always stay indoors they get used to it and don't ask, but if they do both then it's harder for them understand not being let out when they ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page