What I woke up to this morning: - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

What I woke up to this morning:

I wasn't sure where to put this, cat tails, behavior, ferals, or the 911 forum...oops don't have one of them. So I thought the lounge would do.

As I have posted before, I took in Annie last fall...a homeless female calico.
Then with sub zero temps I made a couple of places in my cluttered city yard...a couple of sheds...one for garden stuff, one for my maintenance etc storage, and a boat & trailer..wheel barrows and misc. I know come spring I gotta clean it all out. What I made was a safe and comfortable place(s) for a feral cat to keep from freezing. A large gray/white real feral who would flee whenever I came around. Sometimes it would sleep in the sheltered open cage I had made for Annie; other times, in a shed or under my back porch. I had a heated water dish on my front steps too. Lately, my 'gray ghost' friend would stay a little before darting off...kinda checking me out I think. I would put out food at times but not every day and it would consume it during the night.

I have a duplex next door to me....I don't socialize with them much but I have done some repairs on that house for the owner whom I do other work for on other rentals of his. The woman downstairs has at least one cat...I saw it recently...skinny...looked underfed but not my place to judge. So:

I'm getting my morning cup of joe and have Marble (my rescued 3rd cat) on my lap on a chair near the window and we look out and there are 3 squad cars out front. Not unusual but I watched and someone came up to the duplex next door with a fishing net, and what might have been a small pet carrier and a pole snare. Hmmmm. I saw him go to the back and I went to my balcony as he was coming into my yard thru a gate. (Lucky I don't have a pitbull but the officers that were also on the duplex property or by their cars had guns i'm sure.)

I called to him and told him to go to the front of my house and I would be down...I quickly threw on some pants and jacket and met him out front:

He had that net, a pole they use to 'hook' an animal, and the pet carrier.

I said, "what's up? What are you trying to catch?" He said my neighbor had said that a large cat hissed at her and looked threatening as she stepped outside in the back>. My goodness...she called 911 about that?
Well being nice I asked if the cat she saw was gray and white. He didn't say so I told him there is a feral hanging around these houses. "Are you going to TNR him?" No, and he said something about Animal Ark and I said they are full up and that I deal with Feline Rescue but this is a feral....there are dozens of them here in this part of the city..."Do you do TNR?" I asked again. By this time I knew he was from the city Animal Control departmet and I knew if someone calls 911 about anything, they have to send a squad car or two to investigate. They must have called A.C. too so they could trap this feral and euthanize it.

I explained that I have provided places for this one feral to get away from the 20 below zero temps we had this winter and provide a water dish for any others that roam around. I told him this Gray/White one looks healthy and scatters even from me so I don't believe it would attack my neighbor. I think she is just a bit too worried since I can't even get close to this cat and it 'knows' me. I haven't seen any other ferals most of the winter by these houses either, I told him.

Well, he seemed ok with that and knew he couldn't catch this cat anyway and the tracks in the new snow indicated it went under my back porch.

Then I wondered: He had a fishing net on a two foot pole, that choking pole and a carrier that was too small. Even if he got the cat in the net, no way was he going to get it into the carrier, or even with the choke pole...No way.....and then it hit me.

The cops......once he snared it, they would shoot it. The carrier was for the corpse. They would feel justifed in removing one feral from the city, that has hundreds of them. I know, I walk the hood and see them at times or their tracks where they find shelter in old garages or sheds.

As the A.C. guy left I heard one cop say to another,....."he is harboring a cat....I don't know if he heard what I had spoken to the A.C guy about. ya, right, I'm harboring a fugitive cat.

So, they left...I talked with the owner of the property an hour or so later as he was doing a repair for the downstairs renter. I relayed this story and asked him to check about the description of the cat she saw and to let her know that the 'gray ghost' is not a danger...just another feral cat doing no one any harm.

I don't and won't have a good relationship with this woman...cordial, polite, but that is about it. I have lived in my house for 30 yrs and have seen countless people come and go from that property but have only recently done work there. I snow blow their sidewalk and back parking area, pick up their overflowing trash litter, (they won't recycle....just want a third garbage can). But no need to go into this further. Some times it is just best to not get too involved with some people (neighbors).

I guess I will latch my back gate and maybe even padlock it. And put up a no trespassing sign in back.....I'll probably get a call from a city inspector about my excess ...ah....things out back....which I can deal with if it happens...With warmer temps and sno melt, I will be able to get back to gardening, using my boat, and open trailer for hauling their couch and mattresses they dumped out behind their place. Finish cleaning out my own garage so I can put my maintenance supplies in it...hard to do when it is below zero and waist deep in snow.

Hopefully, (since this is the lounge) you had a cup of joe with you cause this got real long. I'm not a man of few words I know....Hopefully too, they won't be back and the landlord quelled my neighbors fears of being attacked by a large feline that supposedly hissed at her.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

Well my goodness! You did have one heck of a morning didn't you!:what:
And now you're harboring a criminal to boot
you're a person after my own heart!
Good on you for helping the strays and Grey Ghost!
I pray nothing more comes of this!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 AM
Premier Cat

I'm really sorry about this bad experience. We cat people are much more tolerant of scared cat behavior than those that don't care for cats. I hope he is ok. Our city has a euthanasia policy towards ferals, too. I'm always afraid a scared stray is going to get caught up in the mix, but we do keep ferals a few days to let them calm down just in case it is a stray.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Cat Addict

I was all prepared for your long story, had my cup of hot tea, my laptop and chilling with Arwen in the garage this morning

Sorry for your cruddy experience this morning though. She called AC because a cat hissed at her? Dear lord. What is with people? They couldn't just leave the poor cat alone? I have such little patience for non-cat people. I find non-cat people to be just so mean sometimes, when it comes to the welfare and being of stray and feral cats. Now, I am not for the people like this lady in my neighborhood that feeds a bunch of cats and doesn't make sure they are TNR and jsut lets the population grow. If a cat comes onto my property, and I am going to feed it, it is going to get spayed/neutered. We are lucky enough to have a wonderful agency in the next county, called spay n save, where they will spay/neuter ferals for $25, and they do lots of TNR in that county, which unfortunately, is not my county. They also do micro chips for $20. Most of the vet clinics around here, you can't just bring in your cat for a chip without an expensive exam and a bunch of other stuff too. My 20 year old daughter wanted to chip her cat, was going to pay the $53 at our vet, but they want an exam and this and that, and it will then be over $100. Sigh. I know vets need to make their money, and I spend PLENTY of money, but I wish they would just let people come in and get the chip without a huge expense, let it be a simple quick thing. I feel like more pets would be chipped if this were the case. Sorry to get sidetracked

I hope they will leave this poor little feral alone and that they don't come back for him. Sorry you have a cruddy neighbor like this, she doesn't sound like a very happy person.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

H.F....no I think she called 911, ( I mean three squad cars?) then I think they called the Animal control. And at a time when most police are busy handling accidents as we had a rush hour snowfall that morning...........but then what is 911 for?

The fugitive aka 'The Gray Ghost' is still at large. I went to move my car this morning so I could unload my van into my garage, (sno blow equip) and he was outside. didn't scamper away as fast....even turned and looked at me so I went inside and got a can of filets and put some out for him. He came out from underneath my back porch. He came up to the bowl while I stayed about 10' away by the snow encrusted gate. He ate while I chipped snow chunks away at the bottom of the gate...Trust? maybe. He does know I am not a danger to him.

That is about as close as I want to get to him....I want him to stay feral but also want to supplement his diet. With the new snow (6") it will be harder to scavenge but we have a warm up (+40 degrees.....yeaaaaaaaa...!) today and tomorrow.

I understand the TNR program but at this time I am not willing to capture the 'ghost'. But I think I will call our City Animal Control and/or check with our Feline Rescue group and find out just what policies are. I don't want to create a problem for myself.

I will talk with the owner soon and find out if he got more info on just what cat my have startled my neighbor. Tho, the 'Ghost' is the only feral I have seen around the three properties I am part of. No other tracks either but then I wouldn't expect any as ferals are territorial and the 'ghost' has apparantly claimed mine as his own.

I hate to think of it but I don't think that animal control guy was going to take the fugitive alive. The police/guns was more humorous than a reality, tho strangling or neck breaking probably would have been the outcome if he had snared the 'ghost'.

The gate now closes fully and I will pick up a WARNING--WILD CAT INSIDE- KEEP OUT. for the gate.

Last edited by Cat'sHouse; 02-18-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat'sHouse View Post
(Lucky I don't have a pitbull but the officers that were also on the duplex property or by their cars had guns i'm sure.)
What did this mean? I didn't understand that part.

Also, what is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat'sHouse View Post
I know, I walk the hood and see them at times or their tracks where they find shelter in old garages or sheds.
What is the hood?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post

Also, what is

What is the hood?

hood
Derived from "neighborhood". An area which one lives/lived/ or is in
Ima go visit my hood.
i need to raise up out my hood

that's more slang than I use....Some of us call the inner city...'the hood' not meant to be derogatory as much as meant to be an area of the city...older bldgs, maybe lower income but not necessarily so....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

(Lucky I don't have a pitbull but the officers that were also on the duplex property or by their cars had guns i'm sure.)

Again, a bit humorous but the Animal Control Officer (in partial uniform) walked right onto my property with his equipment without anyone bothering to come to my front door and let me know what was up. :Had I and Marble not been at the window looking out front I would not have known what was going on. I could have said large dog in my fenced yard (albeit the gate was ajar due to piling up snow). I used to have a dog, german shepherd who wouldn't have liked someone entering our yard without me being there. If and I say if, there was a dog in my yard, what would the Animal Control Officer do? I don't know but I do know he was overreaching his authority by entering private property without permission tho I DID NOT make an issue of this.

Hopefully the situation is over other than I want to find out some more information to avoid future incidents.....and speak to that neighbor now that I know which one of the two families called the police.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post

Also, what is

What is the hood?
I guess I speak ghetto too well! I understood EXACTLY what OP meant!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

........lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page