Local cat in national news! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Local cat in national news!

I was looking at Fox News yesterday and saw this article. Being cat related I had to read it and to my surprise it was here in my hometown. Keep reading and I could not believe the cat belongs to one of my son's classmates! I am glad the story had a happy ending! Here is the link:

Athena the cat rescued after 3 days atop power pole in New Mexico | Fox News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Banned

Wow! What an ordeal. I hope she IS an indoor cat from now on. I'm sure she will be!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Premier Cat

Wow that cat is lucky he didnt go on the transformer. He be a goner! Glad he is going to be an indoor cat now!!!

My honey does the high wires and dangerous stuff for our local electric company. He will go up and get a cat.

He sent me a picture of the most beautiful bobcat which ran up a pole and was electrocuted. Put out the power to community near by. I think dogs ran the bobcat up the pole. So sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness! So glad it has a happy ending! Poor Athena!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Cool Cat

Poor Athena; I'm glad she was okay!

We had a similar situation occur about an hour and a half North of us in Peterborough recently. That story also had a happy ending, but only because a private citizen with a cherry picker risked his own safety to rescue the cat. The utility company flat out refused to shut off power so that the fire department could go up and get the cat, and they refused to allow any of their linemen to rescue the cat citing safety concerns. It was pretty ridiculous that the utility company wouldn't shut power down to a single residential street for all of 10 minutes in the middle of a weekday to save the life of someone's pet--anyone on the street who was home at the time was outside gawking anyway. Would the utility companies really rather a private citizen get electrocuted trying to save a cat than lose 10 minutes worth of revenue from a handful of homes?! Because, if that's the case, I'm thoroughly disgusted!

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
Poor Athena; I'm glad she was okay!

We had a similar situation occur about an hour and a half North of us in Peterborough recently. That story also had a happy ending, but only because a private citizen with a cherry picker risked his own safety to rescue the cat. The utility company flat out refused to shut off power so that the fire department could go up and get the cat, and they refused to allow any of their linemen to rescue the cat citing safety concerns. It was pretty ridiculous that the utility company wouldn't shut power down to a single residential street for all of 10 minutes in the middle of a weekday to save the life of someone's pet--anyone on the street who was home at the time was outside gawking anyway. Would the utility companies really rather a private citizen get electrocuted trying to save a cat than lose 10 minutes worth of revenue from a handful of homes?! Because, if that's the case, I'm thoroughly disgusted!
While I agree with your sentiment, it is conceivable/possible that someone on that street could be dependent on a medical device, and if the power were turned off, they could be injured or worse. Just sayin'....

Makes it tricky.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBrazil View Post
While I agree with your sentiment, it is conceivable/possible that someone on that street could be dependent on a medical device, and if the power were turned off, they could be injured or worse. Just sayin'....

Makes it tricky.
NO different if the power goes down for an accident or storm or whatever. They usually have backups for those very reasons

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
they refused to allow any of their linemen to rescue the cat citing safety concerns. It was pretty ridiculous that the utility company wouldn't shut power down to a single residential street for all of 10 minutes in the middle of a weekday to save the life of someone's pet--.....

Would the utility companies really rather a private citizen get electrocuted trying to save a cat than lose 10 minutes worth of revenue from a handful of homes?
My honey is a lineman and he looked at the original picture. He said it was an end run and the power could of been shut off easily. Which they probably finally did to allow animal control up there to get the cat.

As far as dt8thd situation he said it is not as easy as shutting off power for a street. As I understand what he relayed to me.... novice understanding his job.... it depends where the two switching stations are. It can take out large areas. What is serviced in this area.

They had a situation where a cat was up a pole and the people created a stink.. news was out there etc. But it would of shut down the air port, and sewage treatment plant etc. Its not as cut and dried as you think.

He will go up and get a cat but there is danger involved. The animal is agitated. It can touch a live area while getting it out and transmit it to the lineman and electrocute him too.

He said when the news shows up and newspaper and game and fish the electric companies don't want the bad publicity. They are more likely to send a lineman out to rescue the animal. They now provide nests that cant transmit electrical charges, where owl and hawk keep returning to nest because so many times they end up getting electrocute.

But the response and willingness of the electrical company to do something happened from the outcry of animal lovers and birders bring it to the attention of the media.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

Our power went out last week. A squirrel (not sure if it was a screen licking squirrel or not), apparently BBQ'd himself in/on a transformer. Shut down several dozen residences. Glad kitty is ok!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Premier Cat

LOL! Those Screen Licking Squirrels are a Menace!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page