Revenge of Jealous Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Revenge of Jealous Kitty

So yesterday i went outside to grab something from the yard and happened to pass a cat so i stopped to pet him of course, i couldnt resist. Well as i was petting him i FELT like someone was glaring at me, and as i looked around to find the source... there was Mystery sitting by the car glaring my way. I hadn't known he was there. So fast forward a bit, i'm inside and EVERYWHERE i go i feel like i'm being GLARED at. Mystery continued to follow me all day, whenever i sat down he would sit on the other side of the room and simply stare... never blinking! I finally had enough, and apologized to him for even looking at another cat and called him over for pets and worship so he would forgive me. I thought i had finally gained his forgiveness as he started walking my way, i was really happy since i hadnt got to cuddle all day, then at the last moment he turned and hopped onto one of the younger kids' laps to lay down. Which he never does, they move too much. I couldnt do anything but stare, i couldnt believe my Baby MeMe had rejected me. I was so dejected... i realized his plan had worked. I was very jealous. He didnt sleep with me last night. This morning i woke up to the disturbing feeling of being watched. I looked down and at the foot of the bed Mystery sat staring at me. I apologized for the umpteenth time and told him i love him and he's the only cat for me, and after another few minutes of staring, he FINALLY climbed up to the head of the bed and let me cuddle with him, then laid down by my head and went to sleep.

All has been forgiven ^_^
Next time i pet a cat i see though i need to remember to make sure Mystery is inside. Shhh dont tell him xD

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned

Too funny - Mystery really let you know you are not to go patting other cats, EVER. Lol
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Premier Cat

Omigosh , BrittyBear...I don't know...I'd be kinda creeped out by the whole staring thing if my beloved cuddle-me kitty suddenly did that! Woah, is your kitty clever...I'd definitely think twice about petting another cat...scents from the other cat could linger on you, too! But it's great to know that Mystery has forgiven you! Thank goodness!

Interesting story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Premier Cat

That little guy knows how to make you pay! Too funny!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Cat Addict

Cute story It isn't jealousy though but his reaction to the scent of a strange cats. They have crazy good senses of smell and the scent of a strange cat can be really upsetting if they aren't used to it. He was following you because you had the scent on you. *shrugs*

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, but it's really important that we don't humanize our pets too much. I regularly talk to people (pet training) who've made up their own little narrative for why their pets do certain things, and it can cause resentment to build up on the part of the human. When the reality is usually much much simpler.

As a side note, I'd actually suggest petting strange cats MORE. The more you do it and he doesn't actually see a strange kitty in his home the less it'll bug him. I pet sit all the time and regularly smell like a dozen different animals, my cats love giving me a thorough sniff-over when I get home, but don't care other than that. IMO it makes them more relaxed about it since you can't really completely avoid all other animals. (at least I can't, lol)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Premier Cat

Agreed. Jealousy is a human emotion, a cat isn't going to feel that. Just like they don't pee on the bed because a boyfriend slept over or poop in a shoe because you were out too late.

Just doesn't work that way.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I understand that. And i'd never get mad at him for how he acts ^_^ i think its adorable. With Mystery it isnt always the scent... because i always wash my hands and change my clothes after being around another animal. He can be down the street and see me pet another animal and comes running to chase them off xD i understand cats dont have human emotions... but i do know my cat well enough, he gets mad if i even look like i'm going to pet Ashes or Shadow and jumps in the way. I'm his and he makes sure to let everyone know it xD it was just meant to be a funny story, its not the first time he's gotten made and given me the evil eyes all day, but this was the first time it lasted throughout a whole night lolz. Mystery may not feel jealousy since its a human emotion... but he certainly feels something... he dont like to share xP

I didnt mean to offend anyone with the story... sorry. I simply posted it to give everyone a laugh with Mystery's quirky ways. It certainly gives me a laugh to think about it xD sorry if i upset anyone

Last edited by BrittyBear; 04-23-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Premier Cat

BrittyBear, It is a Great Story! Very Cute and Mystery sounds like quite the little character! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 AM
Cat Addict

It was a funny and cute story, BrittyBear. Thank you for sharing it!

I'm with you in recognizing jealousy in your kitty. They DO get jealous. Jealousy isn't exclusive to humans.

Jealousy is an emotion, and the word typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something and we all know that cats are capable of every single one of these feelings.
They are territorial (possessive) and will fight to keep what they feel is theirs and if they feel a loss of control, anxiety and insecurity.
How it manifests itself in the cat's reactions may not be the same as humans but they do feel jealousy, all the same.

Thanks again for sharing your story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 07-21-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: removed blog link
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you for the article! I enjoyed it, Mystery is certainly possessive! It was very informative.

I totally understand how he feels, i get jealous too when he chooses one of my friends' lap over mine xD gosh, dont we make a great pair lolz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page