I help socialize cats at the shelter and I love it. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I help socialize cats at the shelter and I love it.

At the shelter where I volunteer they typically have 25 cats listed for adoption on their website. I go by the cages and see which ones meow at me and want to come out. I spend 20 minutes with each one then wash my hands, change my shirt and wipe the floor. I'll see 5 cats in the 2+ hours that I'm there on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Some cats will wander the room and not want much interaction. I had one stay under a chair so I ignored it, I played on my tablet, and then it came over by me. Some will go back and forth between wanting to be petted and wanting to chase the laser light. A few will stay within arm's length and let me pet them the whole time. The ones that steal my heart the most are the ones that just want to be held and/or petted the whole time.

I love going there but after I leave all I can think about are the cats that I fell in love with. Each time I go there's at least 2 that I wish I could take home. I copy their pictures from their website or take pictures of them myself. Then I put them into a directory where they show up on my computer's screen saver.

The cats that I see usually get adopted pretty quickly. 2 or 3 of the 5 will be gone by the next time I come in. I'm getting to where I can tell which cats I'll only see once.

I need to spend more time with the shy cats but it's too hard to ignore the ones that are the most demanding of my attention. Only 2 people can sign up for cat socialization per day and most people are only there for an hour or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Banned

That's awesome you are doing that Bill, what a great service and so important for those kitties. I have often thought of doing some volunteer work at a shelter but I'm afraid I don't have the temperament for it. I would want to bring home every cat I saw, and I really can't have any more cats than the 3 we already have.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, hats off to you, Bill! Your volunteering means a lot to the cats there who need human stimulation and deserve all you can give. I can feel your ambivalence towards wanting to approach the shyer kitties yet know all too well when the more charismatic ones come up to you, well how can one not resist, eh? It's difficult to share your limited amount of time with so many.

Thank you so very much for doing what you do, giving up your precious time for these shelter kitties who need your love and attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Cat Addict

That sounds like a win win for all.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Cool Cat

Thats amazing!!! Sounds like an awsome thing to be able to do ^_^ i was going to volunteer at a shelter about 2 years ago but they said i was too young what with liabilities and all. Those cats definitly appreciate what you do its really awsome. Keep up the good work~ ^_^

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page