Genius cats and, er, "regular" cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Genius cats and, er, "regular" cats?

We love our cats regardless, but we also know that some of our pals are genius cats and some are, well, not so genius.

My old beloved shorthair white goddess Vanilla (RB) was sharp as you can imagine. She knew several words such as "get your mousie" or "get your squeaky" and she'd run and find the right toy and bring it and play with it.

Vanilla would also summon me for my duties. I'd be sitting watching TV or reading or working on the computer, and she'd come over, stand up on her hind legs, and gently tap me on the leg. Then she'd meow, and start walking away, looking back over her shoulder to verify I was coming. If I didn't obey, she'd repeat the tapping and meows, more forceful, and then out came the claws!

When I followed her, she'd lead me to her empty food dish, low water bowl, or dirty catbox. Then she'd sit and supervise me to ensure I performed suitably. She'd meow loudly if the job wasn't done correctly.

By contrast, my current love-buddy "RJ" is about average. He knows his name and comes when he's called, knows "NO!" about jumping up where he shouldn't, but that's about it. He's of course a loving buddy of 18 and a wonderful companion, but he's never been able to learn much more than to come when called and to behave. Other than that, forget it.

And our new adoptee buddy Bobby is also about average in his smarts, knows his name and "no!" but not much more.

Naturally this has no effect on the love we have for our cats, or the love they have for us.

But --- what are your stories about smart cats vs. mmm... not so smart?

So...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Cool Cat

Misty was very intelligent. She was intuitive too. She hated going anywhere in the pet carrier. We kept the carrier in the garage.
If one of us said "pet carrier" she would bolt up the stairs and stay under the bed until she was sure it was safe to come out.
She always knew when we were getting ready to take her to the vet. I would just look at the garage door and she would bolt upstairs.
Tiger was a smart cookie too. He would want to wake me up to feed him so he would gently bite my ear, then jump back and look all
innocent when I opened my eyes. He would also stand on his hind legs (so cute) and tap my arm or my husband's arm if we were eating
something he wanted a bite of. He was such a people cat and more like a dog than a cat in many ways. He would sit for treats and wait
until I put them down in front of him.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Cool Cat

Lol! I believe Pazu is somewhat bright, comes when he's called, seems to have problem solving skills, but is socially stunted and doesn't seem to know he can meow.

Our old beloved Ponty cat, well, bless him, he was as dumb as a stump. But a lovely boy!

Skye cat seems smart. Bats at the lamps in the morning to try to get us to turn them on. Plays with my glasses when he wants me to wake up-he knows if I put them on, I get out of bed. He'll show me empty food dishes, and meows for water at the sink...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Premier Cat

Speaking of cat carriers, if I brought one in from the garage most of the cats would yawn and ignore it. Poor Zipper would get all wide eyed and have a terribly scared look on her face as she looked from me to it and back to me. It was almost as if I could read her mind: "you're not going to put ME in that thing, are you??". I miss that old girl. She had the most wonderfully expressive face. You could read her emotions like a book and when she had the look of love on her face there was no denying it. Her eyes got "soft" and dewy is the only way I could explain it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 04-29-2014 at 07:31 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Cool Cat

Marcia,
Misty had an expressive face like that too.
You could always read her emotions.

Tiger was emotional and he would get
that soft, dewy eyed look. Sometimes he
would look at us and it was as if he was saying
thank you for taking care of me.

I miss them.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

My Winston is too smart for his own good. He knows how to open certain doors in the house, where the treats and catnip are hidden, knows his name and comes running when called, will growl like a dog at people that look suspicious to him, not shy around strangers, etc.
Nyska is average I would say. She knows her name and comes when called but otherwise she is like any other cat.
Cabbit is not so smart. He knows his name and comes when called but that is it, he rather sleep all day than do anything else. There is just something about him that does not scream "smart" to me. However, he is an excellent hunter. So maybe among cats he may be the smartest!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Cat Addict

I've got tons of examples of how smart Jitzu is, it's truly ridiculous sometimes.

My favorite right now happens at dinner time. I feed her on top of a reptile tank, so it's at about 4 feet. She has to jump to the counter, then step onto the top of the tank. Miss Jitzu is maybe a little chunkier than she should be...due to no fault of mine of course *cough*...so that's part of why I make her jump up for her dinner.

Every night I put her dinner there and say "Ok Kitten (my favorite nickname for her), there's your dinner." And EVERY night she looks at me, and then lifts her paw as if it's hurt.

So I reply "Your paw is NOT hurt. It's fine." She switches paws. The other one must hurt more.

"No, that one is fine to. You can jump up, you do it all the time." She gives me a very disgruntled look, then jumps up.

EVERY day. The only time I lift her up is if she's been feeling crappy all day.

As for the other cats, Doran is very quick to catch on and be interested in new tricks. Torri would much rather manipulate us than do anything for herself (and she's pretty good at it...we're back to letting her into her room so she can use her own private litter box rather than pee in the one the boys use *eye roll*).

And then there's Muffin. Muffin is very sweet, and loving...not so clever though. He did teach himself how to open cupboards (we had a mouse, he WANTED it)...but three days of the cupboard tied shut and he forgot how to do it. lol. We caught the mouse in a live trap and set him free in 'the wild' (aka the little strip of forest a little walk from our house).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

That's Book... bless his little heart. I love him so and he provides endless hours of comic relief but I can't understand how he acts so dumb sometimes and so smart others.

He can sit, lay down, fetch, and do all sorts of things on command.... but that boy can't find his way out of a paper bag (literally, he's been stuck in them before and had to meow for help).

MowMow has this stare that's just for Book's dumb antics. This 'Wow, really?' look that cracks me up every time. I keep explaining to MowMow that as the older and more intellectually blessed cat it's HIS job to bring his little brother up to scratch but... I'm not holding out any hope.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

One of my other favorite Jitzu things is one that just isn't believable (and I'm fully aware of how ridiculous it is). Every time...EVERY time we talk about guinea pigs she looks at Muffin.

EVERY. Single. Time. Like, even the very first day when I was talking to my SO about bringing them home:

Me: "I'm going to get our first guinea pig today."

SO, looking at Jitzu: "Do YOU think we need more pets? Guinea pigs?"

Jitzu: *looks at Muffin*

SO: "Not Muffin, guinea pigs. Big rodents...like meals on wheels of the animal kingdom. Guinea pigs."

Jitzu: *looks back at Muffin*

*me and my SO cracking up*

SO: "Jitzu *she looks at him*, do we need a guinea pig?"

Jitzu: *looks at SO like he's the dumbest thing she's ever seen, slow blinks, then looks at Muffin.*

During this whole thing Muffin was sleeping, so it's not like he moved and caught her attention...he was completely oblivious. And she still does it, everytime I say "I'm feeding the guinea pigs!" She looks at Muffin then at the floor in front of him, like she expects me to put the piggies salad right in front of Muffin. lol!

When the boys were kittens she also used to open the cupboards,then walk away. The boys couldn't open cupboards, and she didn't want anything in there...she opened the cupboards so they could make a mess. I saw her do it once from around the corner. Little jerk, lol.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
When the boys were kittens she also used to open the cupboards,then walk away. The boys couldn't open cupboards, and she didn't want anything in there...she opened the cupboards so they could make a mess. I saw her do it once from around the corner. Little jerk, lol.
Not cat related buy my old dog, Mini, was so horrible to puppies. When we'd breed a ltter my dad always insisted they not leave until they were housebroken (or at least well on their way to it).

I grew up on a 350 acre farm with the house smack dab in the middle so we never had fenced yards. The dogs just went outside when they asked and came in when they asked.

Mom would let the dogs out in the morning and Mini would lead all the puppies up the driveway to the road. They'd start sniffing around and get distracted, then she'd skedaddle back to the house...alone... no puppies. (They weren't ever HER puppies, she was just always in the house so she trained MANY a puppy). Our neighbors were constantly calling to tell us there were puppies up on the road. My dad used to get SO ticked with her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page