Almost got a new kitty this morning.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Almost got a new kitty this morning....

I finally found a cute little kitten and was minutes from leaving to go get her.....but when they gave me the location to see her, my scam radar went full blast!

Can't prove anything, but this person seems to sell a lot of different breed kittens. The map feature in kijji shows the same location for a number of kitten ads I have looked at.....never two ads at the same time, though. I gave the benefit of doubt and replied to this one.....they replied with the same email address as a previous one I replied to.

Price was $50 less last night....said she had someone else ready to pay the new price if I didn't. Then she went down, but not to original price, while I mulled that over....

I decided I would go see the kitten to see if it was healthy, etc. she told me to meet her behind a restaurant in a really bad part of town, notorious for drug deals. I backed down fast....

So, no new fur-baby for me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Premier Cat

What breed is it you are looking for again?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My husband is wanting a purebred bengal. I am getting a "love kitty".... This one was a tabby/bengal cross. I also like the lynx point cats, the ones with light stripes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Spark
, and Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Cool Cat

Glad you didn't get scammed by a back yard breeder. Hugs for the near miss!

Last edited by marie73; 05-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Cat Addict

one word.............SHADY!!!!! poor kittens
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I wish there were some way to prove what is happening and report this person!

Just before the ad for the Bengal/Tabby crosses went down, it was linked to 2 siamese cats. Now I see the siamese cats are down to 1 cat AND that ad is linked to another new one for 4 more kittens! This is just in the last three days! The same email address for the bengal/tabby was the one used to respond to me previously for an ad for 2 other kittens.

Remarkably every ad has the kittens at exactly 8 weeks. Today is May 3, these were born March 3.

Poor things! I was almost tempted to get that cutie this morning even with the scam/backyard breeder radar going off...just to rescue it. But then I did remember the problems Speechie went through after a backyard breeder....and discussions about not supporting these types of people. Thank you all very much for raising that awareness in me!

Spark
, and Star
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Cat

Aww poor kittens!

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Cat Addict

Anything Bengal cross is just a scam. 99% of these will have no Bengal in them at all. You would also be supporting shady people like this one, even if they come across as more legitimate than this case. Please either get a purebred Bengal from a legitimate breeder -- and there are MANY that aren't -- (and pay the big bucks), or don't get one at all.

There are tons of cats and kittens needing homes in our local shelters, places that deserve your support and money. I would take your husband there and see what happens... it is MUCH better to get a cat or kitten that you choose based on personality...

Getting the only one offered from some person online in an add that is clearly scamming is not the right direction to be searching for your future 15+ year cat. As above... none of these Bengal crosses from sites like Kijiji and PetFinder, or even most of the purebred "Bengals", is really a Bengal... and if they are, you have to wonder why. Bengals can have A LOT of issues -- both mental and heath-related -- you do not want a poorly bred one. It's just asking for trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 05-03-2014 at 10:22 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

Aw, Mochas Mommy, I'm so sorry that the kitten didn't work out. I didn't realize you'd been actively looking for a new kitty. I'm glad you didn't follow through with this though! Where are these people getting these kittens??

I'm not familiar with kijji - would the people in charge of the site follow up if you reported the ad as a scam, or at least as something that's not quite kosher?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

kijji is like craigslist; not sure if they would do anything. I was just wondering out loud if animal control would care or not. I feel bad for the cats who are in this house being bred like this.

I have been looking for a new baby for a few weeks now. I know there are many cats and kittens at the shelters - I've been following them on Facebook....but I want to get a new "love baby" first. I still miss Mocha a lot, but I need to get the strength to adopt a new fur-baby as my nights are way too lonely (DH is working a LOT of night shifts and Mocha used to keep me company....now it is just me...) Once she is settled, then I want to foster and help other kitties out...then I figure I can work on DH and have a "foster failure" or two.

Carmel, I do NOT have my heart set on a Bengal...my husband does...but he knows next to nothing about cats. I figure if I can find a "bengal" cross, it might satisfy him. I know the chances of it having any bengal in it are about as good as my big toe being part-Bengal. But HE doesn't know that...and a nice, loving DSH tabby cat looks close enough to pass for part-bengal. If the ad says "bengal cross", then he is more likely to believe it too. The only reason he is stuck on Bengal is I flippantly said I wanted a bengal right after Mocha passed and he told me to stop crying about "just a cat" and I could get any cat I wanted. I figured he would NEVER agree to a $1500+ cat so I said "bengal"....that sure backfired! Now HE has his heart set on a Bengal and taking it for a walk on a leash....

Spark
, and Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page