Catnip + HUMANS - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

Catnip + HUMANS

We just moved into a new duplex + are looking forward to getting kittens SOON.

At first I was delighted to find that the previous tenants had planted catnip on the side of the house - now, not so much. There's about a 6'x4' patch of 3' tall catnip right outside the livingroom windows + it's driving me MAD! The smell is totally overwhelming and my eyes ITCH all of the time . . . I don't know HOW the previous cat lived with this strong catnip smell 24/7!

I'd planned on waiting til it blooms + then harvest and dry it but now I'm thinking I'm gonna have to harvest it SOONER rather than later + hang it in the shed to dry and HOPE the aroma dissipates at LEAST a little . . .

It's just insane! If you ever want to plant ANY kind of mint (which catnip is) plant it in a flower pot or it will take over your flower beds/yard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Bon-

Gosh, I had no idea fresh catnip was such an allergen....it's too bad, but you do what you have to do! Dried catnip seems much more potent to cats than the fresh variety, I think. And it can be purchased easily enough, so I don't think you need to tolerate it if you don't need to.

Maybe you can get Benadryl for now, though? Just an idea. Hope you feel better!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

Yes, Benadryl helps but makes me sleepy so I have to decide which is the lesser of 2 evils The problem is that there's just SO MUCH of it!!!

It's s'posed to rain tonite so I figure that will rinse the plants off nicely + then tomorrow I'm going to start cutting the plants down and tying them up in little bunches to hang in the shed to dry.

As far as TOTALLY getting RID of any kind of mint, I really don't think it's possible! It spreads like you would not believe! It sends out underground runners up to 2-3 feet away from the original plant! *SIGH* I plan on just trying to keep it trimmed close to the ground - it's either that or dynamite . . .

I think once it's not 3' tall + even with the windows it won't be SO bad . . . *fingers crossed*

(with MY luck, I'll end up with the only 2 kitties in the world who DON'T LIKE catnip! lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Premier Cat

Homegrown catnip looks a whole lot like homegrown uh, adult catnip...My vet grows her own and gave me some in a baggie, and I drove home wondering what would happen if I got pulled over and the officer saw that little bag.

Bon, it's a good thing you mentioned the mint. A friend just brought over a bunch that he potted. I guess it'll stay potted!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:47 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
(with MY luck, I'll end up with the only 2 kitties in the world who DON'T LIKE catnip! lol)
Um well, you could also plant honeysuckle. The kitties who don't get high on catnip gets a kick out of honeysuckle I hear. Probably more pleasant when it's in bloom, too. Lol. Of course that could take a loooong time for it to grow, I haven't a clue about gardening and plants!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:56 AM
Premier Cat

OMG! Spirite! I can just see that! Getting pulled over for something, and then having a Statie ask you, Whats in the baggie?!! Woops! Explain that one, so it would make sense!! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Premier Cat

I would dig up a few clumps and transplant them into cheap plastic garden pots (like those that come with plants that you buy at the store) then pull out or Round Up the rest. Cut the bottoms out of the cheap plastic pots and replant the potted catnip where you want. This will keep the roots contained and it won't spread.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

If you plant ANY kind of mint in the ground it WILL spread like wildfire - you can NOT "contain" it. I'm sure this patch I'm dealing with started out as 1 or 2 little plants. I've dealt with mint patches before - the other one was spearmint and at least it smelled good!

I have visions of my neighbor mistaking the drying mint in the shed for marijuana and turning me in . . .
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

Bon, Just tell your neighbors...
You have a legal grow card!! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

LOL!

I just got done pulling + cutting + tying + hanging -( I hung a sign up on one of the bunches that says "Bon's catnip" cuz it DOES look pretty strange!)

I have a massive headache - I seriously HATE the smell of catnip! Hopefully I'll be able to stand being in the living room now that it's not right under the window any more *fingers crossed*

hope the kittens-to-come like it (in SMALL amounts!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page