what a difference 4 days make! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

what a difference 4 days make!

Today is Pitter+ Patter's 4th day with us + I can hardly believe the difference in them! At first they'd only play 5-10 minutes + then need a 2-4 hour nap. Now, this morning, they just kept going + going + going hilarious to watch them actually RUNNING + JUMPING around the kitchen now! Plus they are getting MUCH better at the whole litter box thing - *whew*

Wish I could've weighed them on Saturday cuz it's obvious they've gained weight!

This evening is their 1st vet appt. Their eyes are still a bit goopy - esp. Patter's but it still looks ALOT better after cleaning it 3-4x a day. It's not quite so swollen and gunky - but still needs medical attention. Their ears look like they may have a bit of a yeast infection - no biggie but still need med. attention.

They like to take their nap up against my legs while I sit on the day bed. Every once in a while, one will wake up, look at me + say "why aren't you still petting my head?!" Definitely gonna be lap cats - well - if they still like me after all the drops in their eyes + ears!

I don't know if they'll have to get shots tonite? We're guessing their age is 6 weeks but really don't know for sure. But they prob'ly go by weight don't they?

I just LOVE their little spotted bellies + striped legs! SO cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Premier Cat

So glad you're having so much fun with your new babies, Bon!

It's great they're getting their first exams to get treatments for all that you mention, and shots, etc.

Hope the vet can also give you a better estimate of their age! I think they go by eye color, teeth, look of their ears (how upright), and their weight, but it can vary, kitty to kitty on that spectrum, too.

Yes, their tabby markings are super cute, aren't they? More to enjoy as they grow with you though!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Cat Addict

Oh Bon it4 lovely to read your excitement and love for these two. Very lucky kitties to have such a besotted mom I can waste hours of time with my furbabies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Cat Addict

Kittens are so cute, and such a handful But you can't help but love them. I wonder if they may have ear mites? I'm sure the vet will say if they do. We used Revolution on one of our cats that had ear mites when we first took her in as a stray. Also, I have a feral who had BAD ear mites, and I use Revolution on her monthly, and it took care of her ear mites. I swear that stuff works on them, my feral is proof of it, and I am in Florida where all the gross parasites and stuff are really bad. I don't see fleas on her either, or ticks, which is amazing in Florida, where it is hot year round.

I have not had a kitten as little as yours since I was a kid. The youngest cat I have I found at approx 5 months old, still young enough to climb the curtains The one thing about kittens that I dont like, it seems like when they are really little, they just have really gross poop (sorry to be gross). Every one I know who has little ones says this. I think it just takes a while to get their little tummies used to what food works. When we took in Stephano, at about 5 months, he had terrible poop.....understandably so, he was a stray, but even after he was wormed and all good, I found that if I changed his food, he'd get runny poop. We found that he did fine on Wellness chicken (canned) or turkey, but anything else would tear him up, so we stuck to that for a long time for him. When he was about a year old, I tried some other varieties, and he was fine by then. Hopefully your kittens don't go through the gross poop thing!

Good luck with the new babies
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

Surprise!

Pitter is MALE! AND - they are both only about FOUR weeks old - not 6!
They had to get a postal scale to weigh them. Pitter weighs 15.7 oz and Patter weighs 13 oz.

The doc treated them for ear mites (not yeast like I'd thought)
She treated them for worms.
We're treating them for internal parasites (but I can't remember what they are.) Oral meds by syringe once a day for 10 days.
Eye drops in each eye 2x a day for both kitties for 7 days.
Start feeding them kitten formula with a syringe if they won't drink it on their own or eat it with mushy kibble.

Come back and see her in a week.

P+P are both napping even tho they napped ALL afternoon - weren't even interested in supper - we got home + they went right to sleep. The trip worn them out! It's worn ME out as well to find out I have such LITTLE babies! Makes me nervous . . . but the doc said they look good!

*WHEW*
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Cat Addict

Wow! What a surprise! Lucky that you picked neutral names then, lol.

If you vet is OK with it I'd suggest holding off on vaccines until 8 weeks. I have vaxxed kittens at 6 weeks, but I found they were super drowsy for a day after. They tend to handle it better at 8 weeks and if you know they'll be safe inside (and not exposed to possible pathogens) then waiting until their immune system is a little stronger can only be a good thing.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

yes - definitely no vax in the near future!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Cat Addict

Darnit, a tip I forgot to add. Don't bother syringe-feeding them. It's a royal pain, if they're already eating from a dish just feed them the formula in a dish. Much simpler.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Bon
Tom Cat

syringe feeding them is surprisingly easy (I'm shocked too!) and at least I know that some is getting into them!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Cat Addict

*shrugs* If you've got the time then go for it, lol. When I was fostering I used to get them switched to dishes ASAP! It's not easy bottle feeding 10 kittens at once, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page