Animal afterlife - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Animal afterlife

I've wondered about posting this for a very long time now, but didn't want to make people sad or stir up controversies. But recently there has been a thread on Christianity so I think we as a group are capable of respectfully discussing big topics.

We talk about the Rainbow Bridge as a symbol of our pets' post-death "location". Obviously no one really knows what happens to their spirits (or souls or presence or whatever word is suitable) after death, so I'm asking for opinions. And I'm asking for a respectable discussion of those opinions.

Do you believe in a Heaven or afterlife for pets? Do you believe they continue to live on only in our hearts and fond memories? I know many of you receive visits from former pets, is that explicable or purely a mystery?

I know this topic couldn't be broached without some discussion of religion or spirituality, so it seemed to me to be not bad timing following the other recent thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Premier Cat

Imo all animals go to heaven. As I said in the other thread, I expect to see a LOT more animals than their human counterparts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Premier Cat

Jeff,
I believe that in the "Afterlife" we will not only be reunited with people we love, but with our beloved pets as well...
The Original Eden had people and all animals living in harmony...
God created ALL Things and cares about all things.

We were/are supposed to be good stewards of all he has given us...

He knows the numbers of the feathers on a sparrow, and we are not to run the oxen into the ground, that we use to plow the fields...

Which to me, says, ALL Things are important to him, including the animals HE Created.

Sigh...I may yet again, be not explaining very well...

But in a nutshell, Yes, I believe we will see our pets again.
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Tom Cat

"Beyond the Rainbow Bridge" by Kimberly Gatto, was written about horses. But the idea is the same.
"Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates" by Gary Kurz, is about cats and dogs. In this book "indisputable and convincing evidence is offered to prove that God has indeed made eternal provision for all of His creatures".
I guess you need to believe in something greater, God, for this to help. Cold noses is wonderful, I cried and laughed and found comfort.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Cool Cat

Those who have experienced NDE have experienced not only humans, but animals as well.

Children who have experience NDE have often reported being with a certain animal that was unknown to them personally, but when described to others, turned out to be the pets of their parents or grandparents aunts/uncles of when they were young.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

Yes I believe that God loves all in His creation, and many scriptures talk of the need to show animals much kindness and care. I believe that they do have an afterlife as well, and that no love is ever lost. I remember a couple of times after a very beloved Manx girl of mine that I had raised from a kitten passed on of old age at 17 1/2 years, and a couple of weeks afterward experienced a couple of times while resting feeling her walk and snuggle beside me like she always did. I wasn't dreaming and I know it wasn't my imagination. I think she just came back to tell me she was OK.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Yes I believe that God loves all in His creation, and many scriptures talk of the need to show animals much kindness and care. I believe that they do have an afterlife as well, and that no love is ever lost. I remember a couple of times after a very beloved Manx girl of mine that I had raised from a kitten passed on of old age at 17 1/2 years, and a couple of weeks afterward experienced a couple of times while resting feeling her walk and snuggle beside me like she always did. I wasn't dreaming and I know it wasn't my imagination. I think she just came back to tell me she was OK.
Oh what a wonderful gift!!

I agree. Love is never lost. Doesnt sound logical to me.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Cat

Interesting topic. I'm a Christian and have an extensive religious education for a layperson (I am a lifelong Episcopalian and am fairly active in church matters). So I'm speaking here from that standpoint and I do not intend to push my ideas onto others, just merely state them...

I believe in the afterlife (actually "after" is a misnomer -- life eternal begins at awareness and continues into the next plane) but a person may choose to "die" by denying the gift of eternity and simply winking out. Anyway...

I thought for years that when we love a pet, we "transfer" a portion of our immortal spirits to that animal and therefore imbue that pet with immortality, too.

Some years later, reading the great writer and Christian apologist C.S. Lewis, I found that he believed the same sort of thing. So I was in good company with my own idea.

I also believe that our souls are immortal because as a scientist, I know that there is energy in our life and our spirit, and that energy cannot just "cease to exist" because that violates principles of conservation of energy. That our soul is energy that does not disappear when our physical bodies give out.

I'm of course not the only person to think this -- such "scientifically religious" concepts have been around in one form or another for centuries. In Eastern religions, the "Atman" (similar to a soul) flows back into the "great sea" when we die. But Christians (and others) have it more personal, that the individual spirit or soul continues always.

That's my personal belief, some of it mainstream (although mostly Anglican) Christianity, and some personal "tweaks" on this.

I do believe that our beloved pets are "gifted" eternal spirits or souls, given to them by us, as part of our "bargain" with God, we being suzerain (rulers by fief) over the Earth and all within.

You can look over a thread I started recently about my big fuzzball "RJ" whom I had to euthanize July 5, with great regret but with prayerful resolve. Were I not to believe that RJ is running happy and free at the Rainbow Bridge, I don't think I could endure it. But I do believe it. I really do.

Last edited by doodlebug; 07-12-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: We don't need a lecture about not lecturing.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Tom Cat

I saw my fiancee's best friend in a dream the year before last, about mid-november, who I'd NEVER seen before only a few pictures of her from when they both were like fourteen. She looked VASTLY different.
I had Jazzy my old cat with me in the dream, he was curled up in my lap and purring. The girl came to talk to me, and Jazzy went with her, snuggled into her and curled up in her lap instead of me.

Once I told my fiancee about the dream, and didn't tell her I knew who the girl was because she'd TOLD me, I just described her, in case I was just somehow influenced by her friends death. I was dead on with the description.
I'd never seen her before. Not how she naturally looked anyway, and not at that age.
The fact that I'd never seen her like that before, and that my cat who had passed only two weeks before her was with her, who was a cat person; yes, I have to believe that not only is there an afterlife, our animal friends are with us when we go there.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Cat

Re. C.S. Lewis... The book in which C.S. Lewis hinted at pets having souls was "The Problem of Pain", a great book. And the other great book by him is "A Grief Observed" about the death of his wife Joy Davidson. I'd recommend both books for those who wish to study or explore their own Christian faith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page