Knowing your limits. How many is too many? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Knowing your limits. How many is too many?

I'm sure there have been threads on this here before, but a couple of quick searches turned up nothing.

How do you limit the number of cats you keep? How many are too many and where do you cross the line into crazy cat lady territory? I realize this will vary, but it's something I'm really struggling to come to terms with right now as there is a cat that is tugging at my entire family's heart after we swore we were at our limit! Now that there is this other cat we'd all love to bring into our home and we feel would be a good fit, suddenly our limit seems to be expanding. To be honest that worries me, more than a little, because we're considering pushing beyond our previous boundaries and I worry about the next cat that we fall in love with after this because you KNOW that'll happen! We have to draw a hard and fast line somewhere, right?

We currently have 4 cats (ages 14, 10, 2 and 1) and 3 small/med dogs (ages 13, 11, and 2). Everyone gets along with only the very minor and occasional grump fest between one of our orange tabbies (2 yo) and our corgi (11 yo). We can financially afford to add another pet. I consulted with our vet and was told that normally they would not advocate for adding a 5th cat, but knowing our family and our pets, they feel it'd be fine. Haha! And I was counting on her to rein us in!

So I'm interested in hearing what your limits are and how steadfast you are in keeping them. I'd always though 5 cats was the point at which you became a crazy cat lady and always swore we'd not cross into that territory, and yet here we are considering it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Doodler!
Well, as you can tell from my user name, I've got a house full too!
If you're financially able to feed, vet and can physically care for the animals...
Then really, you're the only one who can decide, what the cutoff point is!

I certainly didn't go looking for all of mine, they all found their way to me, one way or the other!:rolleyes:

I am very blessed to have pets that get along very well, which certainly helps!! :p
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Tom Cat

No help from me!
Except that if (when) you add any and you do run into territory issues. You can add space by going up. Cat furniture, shelves and the like. I've seen some incredibly inventive stuff through the years!
Do you have a catio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Cool Cat

Since I am from the male variety, I think I can keep as many cats as I want and never become a crazy cat lady.

But yes, as long as you can afford them, they are healthy and well taken care of, and you can still live comfortably yourself, go for as many as you want.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

I always said 2 was my absolute limit!

Then I adopted Neelix and now I have 3. I really can't do more than this. Any more cats and I'd need a bigger place. I live in a small 2 bedroom and with the 3 we'd trip over each other a bit, but it was no big deal.... now that there are 3 regular us and one THERMONUCLEAR NUT it feels very small!

Once Neelix is 3 or 4 years old and nice and settled down, some fuzzy sweet little face may well change my mind.

ETA: Oh yeah, I always said 3 would make me the crazy cat lady.... but i'm pretty sure the pet stroller for MowMow and putting a baby onesie on MowMOw tipped me over without the 3rd.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Cat Addict

I believe I have the space and financial stability for three cats (or maybe four in a situation if I wanted to adopt cats that were already bonded).

The determining factor at my home has always been the contentedness/happiness of my existing cats - the ones I've already made a commitment to. There have now been three cats who have tugged at my heart strings for adoption - Princess, Bruiser, and most recently Rihanna - but I've decided that I'm not going to take the risk at this point in time and upset the delicate apple cart that is my existing cats' state of mind and health.

That's not to say I won't adopt a third into my current crew or that if I did, they wouldn't all get along very happily and healthily. It's just a risk/benefit analysis at this point where I'm playing it conservative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Tom Cat

My dh's boss's wife had 12 cats. Well, one was Half Cat (missing a leg). She was a bit crazy. She died of cancer and the boss gave them all away.

My DH is worried if we get another kitten I'll become the crazy cat lady.

Anyway, some places have ordinances regarding the number of pets you can have, so take that into consideration.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Cat Addict

Good point G-PEG. Here in Lincoln NE, the limit is five before you have to transition from pet licenses to a multi-animal household license and that carries a higher annual fee and annual on-site inspection.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ozma View Post
Since I am from the male variety, I think I can keep as many cats as I want and never become a crazy cat lady.

But yes, as long as you can afford them, they are healthy and well taken care of, and you can still live comfortably yourself, go for as many as you want.
HAHA!!!!

I agree if you can afford them....food, vetcare and supplies...I don't see why you shouldn't add him to your brood
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

To me, the first consideration is financial and that's not just about feeding and normal daily expenses...what happens if several of them need vet attention over the course of a few weeks/couple months and bills add up to thousands of dollars? Can that be covered?

If the money is not an issue, then for me the next is whether they all can get the attention they need....lap time, interactive playtime etc. I know that for me, living by myself...3 healthy cats was a piece cake. Adding the dog made me feel a little pressured. Then Kobi got sick and it became a bit overwhelming, especially before he got stabilized. I lost Maggie around the same time (her's was quick from becoming sick to losing her) and I have not really been inclined to add another cat because although he's stable, Kobi takes up a lot of time.

If none of what I mentioned is a potential issue for you, then go with your heart.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page