What a week!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

What a week!!

Tuesday a plea went out from our foster coordinator that there was NO space and could we PLEASE take home some of the kittens and cats. I being the crazy cat momma I am, brought home 3 more babies:

Rhona had scratched an Animal Control officer and was on 10 days quarantine but needed to get OUT of the shelter cause a URI was going around and there is just no room - would have been euthanized.

Frankie was starving - literally! Starving to the point of not being able to eat on his own any more. He is skin and bones and going to die soon if someone didn't step in. Enter kitty nurse Marcia. I brought him home and syringe fed him some Science Diet A/D (which is a critical care formula). He balked and flung his head getting it everywhere but slowly surrendered to the warm gooey mess. He was so lethargic I thought he was super sick but never showed signs of being sick - poops were nice and firm, no sneezing, runny eyes. I think he was just shutting down and terribly sad. I fed him like that several times Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Today he happily lapped it up on his own and nibbled at some dry. He is bouncing back. He is VERY sweet when cuddled (he LOVES to cuddle) but very timid once you put him down and will hide. Would have been euthanized for not eating on his own (if he didn't die first). 3 days later he is starting to fill out.

Attachment 71178

The third little fellow is a one month old that I had hoped my momma cat Tyra would accept. She sure ain't no Zoey. She huffed and puffed and was actually mean and snapped at the itty bitty. He was on the floor crying his head off wanting so much to be loved and she just walked away. The animal world just amazes me.

Attachment 71186

Today I'm going to see if another fosters mom will take him. Doing the hand over later so keep your paws crossed this works out. He needs a momma. He would have been euthanized because the shelter caretakers don't have time to syringe feed him. We are SWAMPED at the shelter all of a sudden and there have been precious few adoptions the past 2 weeks.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 04-30-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So my cat room is super crowded all of a sudden!!

Itty bitty baby on top left in a make shift kennel (actually a dog carrier). Frankie on the top right and momma Tyra and the T babies on the bottom! On the opposite side of the room is the new girl, Rhona that in on quarantine until the 26th for scratching an AC officer. Jerk probably deserved it.

Attachment 71194

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Cool Cat

They are so sweet! Thank you for taking them home. I hope Frankie continues to eat. That little baby in your first post is adorable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Marcia, you are an angel!! That is so sad that Tyra would not accept him and give him some nourishment and love. But I guess that is probably more the norm than the opposite. Makes you realize even more how amazing Zoey was right?

Are you missing a picture - of Frankie? Or is that Frankie in the top pic and we are missing one of Rona? How awesome he is starting to eat!!(ETA: Yes, I just went back to the pics and that one is labeled 'Frankie'...duhhh)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I don't have a pic of Rhona yet. That is a very unhappy Frankie wrapped in a towel at his first feeding. Not sure if he was mad or just afraid of me but we got some food into his empty belly!

Yes, Zoey was amazing and I was just ignorant to think most cats are as sweet as her!

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Cat Addict

Oh wow Marcia you are fab for taking these on and saving their lives. They are so sweet. I hope all three make strides forward from here and that itty bitty baby can find a momma just like Zoey.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

More pics

Here are the new fosters Rhona and Frankie. You can see how emaciated Frankie is - these were taken this AM and he looks more filled out today - that's how horribly skinny he was. Polly is her usual sweet accepting self!

Attachment 71202

Attachment 71210

Attachment 71218

Attachment 71226

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

and more pics of baby Nihi (pronounced knee-high):

Attachment 71234

Last edited by Marcia; 04-30-2015 at 06:09 AM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Cat Addict

Oh wow. You know Marcia there is no shortage of kitties that need help. You will have an ongoing thread. Keep a log that you can look back at because I can see many, many kitties being helped by you.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Cat Addict

Just to say, bless you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page