Possible abused cat on Craigslist - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Possible abused cat on Craigslist

I saw this ad on CL:

"Interested in rehoming my cat as she is not thriving at our house and am looking at other option besides euthanizing. Noel is a 9 year old, brown tiger with medium-long hair. She is UTD on shots, spayed, and declawed. She lost her eye last year but it doesn't seem to bother her at all (pictures is prior to eye injury). She doesn't mind other cats as long and they keep themselves (kittens pester her), and she is picky about males (hates my husband but loved our male roommate). Dogs, I'm not quite sure about but I think none would best. She has been with me since she was a kitten, so this is a very hard decision for me to make, but I'm trying to put my emotions aside and find her a better home. She takes a bit to warm up but she is a sweetheart with a very loud purr, and will lay on your chest and knead your neck. She loves to sit in a window and watch the birds. Someone with cat experience would be ideal. I am more interested in finding the right person than I am a monetary amount."

Not only am I concerned about how the cat lost her eye and why she hates the husband. But when I asked about the cat they didn't want me coming to their house. They will be bringing the cat to me instead on Sunday.

I plan on taking the cat regardless of its personality. We could take it to the shelter to be examined. We could foster it until it's adopted.

Anybody else concerned about what the ad sounds like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Cat

Sounds like she just want's a better life for her cat?

Personally I wouldn't want a load of potential wierdos from Craigslist turning up on my doorstep either, Meet on the buyers property is fairly common here in the UK.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Premier Cat

Or maybe in a public place like a store parking lot or a park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

^ what he said.

I've sold stuff on craigslist and I NEVER give them my address, I haul the item to the nearest McDonald's parking lot.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I live in a small town in Wisconsin. I've been involved in 15 or 20 craigslist transactions. Never had anybody not want to meet at their house before. If I was adopting out my cat I'd want the people to meet the cat in our house. I could get a better idea of how the cat is going to react to them in familiar surroundings. It would be a disaster to take the cat to an unfamiliar place and have it meet strangers. And based on where I live, no, I wouldn't have any problem having the people come to my house.

I think they don't want me to know where they live. I think it's because the cat has been abused. Why isn't the cat "flourishing"? Why were they considering euthanasia? Is it only because the husband hates the cat? How does an indoor cat lose an eye? It could have lost it by being kicked in the head. I don't feel good about the ad. I just hope we can get the cat and she hasn't been abused.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Cat Addict

There are LOTS of diseases and illnesses that can cause the loss of an eye, so can accidents. IMO jumping right to abuse is a bit premature.

It sounds to me like they have a lot going on (kittens, kids, non-cat husband) and she just doesnt want to deal with it. Irresponsible, sure but not abusive.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Premier Cat

^x2
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Cat Addict

Thank you for taking this cat and giving it another chance.
You have a good heart. I think the current situation sounds unhealthy and possibly dangerous. Just why, after 9 years, does her cat need a better home? Poor cat.
Good luck on Sunday, we must have photos.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see anything sinister in them not wanting you in their house. It's very common when making a Craigslist transaction. The story about the cat does sound kind of glossed over and that there's more to the story than what is presented. But...the reality is that she's not going to admit to any abuse and you will weave your own story after meeting with the current owner and seeing the condition of the cat. You'll never know what's true.

I'm happy you're taking this cat in and are looking to provide a better life for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Jr. Cat

I would NEVER post on craigslist if I couldn't keep one of my pets. I would much rather bring them to a local nokill shelter.

Even though craigslist could give them a forever home, there have been many cases of people getting a pet off craigslist and then abusing or killing the pet. While at the shelter, they usually do housechecks to make sure the pet would fit in.

However, meeting at an alternate location from the sellers location is a common practice for craigslist so I wouldn't suspect abuse from that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page